Tuesday, August 1, 2023

The All-American

Title: The All-American

Author: Susie Finkbeiner

Publisher: Revell

Genre: Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction,

Source: Revell

My Review:

I am on a Susie Finkbeiner kick. I am trying to read all her books and every time I turn around (it seems). I learn about another one she has written. I absolutely love the cover of The All-American, her newest release. We have come, yet again, to a story that will be hard for me to explain all that I felt as I read this story.

For some reason, I was expecting The All-American to be a dual timeline. I am not sure where I got that from, but it is not. It is set in 1952, and the perspective alternates between sisters Bertha and Flossie. Bertha dreams of playing with the women's baseball team, the Sweet Peas. I have to admit I am not a baseball fan (sorry!). However, you do not need to be to enjoy this story.

I loved getting to know Bertha, Flossie, and their family and friends. I loved them both, even though they are so different. I loved the friendship between them as well. While Bertha is mostly focused on baseball, Flossie is a precocious bookworm. I adored her, the humor she added to the story, and her sense of justice.

There was a plot twist that I did not see coming. I thought it would go one way, but instead, it went out in left field. It wrecked me.  With that, I did see the ending coming and found it completely appropriate and heart-warming.

The worst part of the entire story was the ending. Why? Because it ENDED. I was not ready! I wanted more. I finished it last night, and I still want more. And, just so we are clear, the ending is not bad. There is so much more I want to say, but I will refrain. Just grab a copy and read the book.

Thank you to Revell for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.  

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

It is 1952, and nearly all the girls 16-year-old Bertha Harding knows dream of getting married, keeping house, and raising children in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. Bertha dreams of baseball. She reads every story in the sports section, she plays ball with the neighborhood boys--she even writes letters to the pitcher for the Workington Sweet Peas, part of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.

When Bertha's father is accused of being part of the Communist Party by the House Un-American Activities Committee, life comes crashing down on them. Disgraced and shunned, the Hardings move to a small town to start over where the only one who knows them is shy Uncle Matthew. But dreams are hard to kill, and when Bertha gets a chance to try out for the Workington Sweet Peas, she packs her bags for an adventure she'll never forget.

Join award-winning author Susie Finkbeiner for a summer of chasing down your dreams and discovering the place you truly belong.

7 comments:

  1. This is on my TBR! Your review makes me want to move in up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say "move it up". Nice review, Cindy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gretchen, yes, do move it up, it is fabulous!

      Delete
  2. I love that Bertha dreams of baseball and Flossie is a bookworm. They sound like very fun characters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Sarah, I do too, that cover is eye-catching and gorgeous!

      Delete