Thursday, August 3, 2023

Upping the Ante

Title: Upping the Ante

Series: Love Stories in Sheet Cake, Texas #3.5

Author: Emma St. Clair

Publisher: Emma St. Clair

Genre: RomCom, Fiction, Contemporary Romance

Source: Emma St. Clair

My Review:

If you've been here longer than a hot minute, you know I am a huge fan of Emma St. Clair. When Upping the Ante dropped into my inbox a few weeks ago, I immediately wanted to read it. Finally, I found the time.

Upping the Ante is a quick read. I read it in one sitting. Some of our favorite Sheeters make appearances, and I loved meeting Deacon and Kalli. You do not have to read the other stories in the series to enjoy this one, but you should 😆.

It has almost everything we have come to love from St. Clair's books:

  • grumpy/sunshine
  • protective male
  • witty banter
  • embarrassing scenes
  • return characters

The only thing missing? A wild animal scene!! Did I miss it?! Such a cute, fun read. I highly recommend it! I hope Deacon and Kalli will show up in the rest of the series. 

Thank you to Emma St. Clair for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to write a review. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

He's been the grumpiest boss a woman could ask for--or he WAS until I quit.

But former football star Deacon Clark doesn't seem to be getting the memo. Instead, he tags along with me to Sheet Cake, Texas, where I'm hoping to start a new business.

Deacon's only hope is to hire me back as his assistant.

At least, that's what I thought.

Until ... the very clear lines we've always kept start to blur.

I guess that's what happens when you have to share a loft with only one bed...

Upping the Ante is a closed door romcom in the Love Stories from Sheet Cake series. It takes place between The Pocket Pair and The Wild Cart, though it can be read as a standalone. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Emma St. Clair, too. And I love the sound of this one. I should check out all of her books that I haven't read yet and just spend a week reading them. That would be fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it would be!! I still have some of her older works that I need to read as well!

      Delete
  2. Checking it out.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete