Friday, September 15, 2023

First Line Friday #104-The Cake List

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! I hope you all have a great day and weekend! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I am reading The Cake List by Dianne J. Wilson.  

Meg aimed her feet into the satin shoes and realized two things: you can get a muffin top on your feet, and breaking off an engagement makes your feet fat.

Book Beginnings:

Monday-60 days and counting

Meg aimed her feet into the satin shoes and realized two things: you can get a muffin top on your feet, and breaking off an engagement makes your feet fat. There was simply no other way to explain why her new ballroom shoes had shrunk. In the shop it was all Cinderella and the ptince. One break-up later and here she was-the ugly step sister swinging the daft things on her big toes.

Either that, or it was looming big-O birthday.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Do Something Brave. Do Something Selfless. Do Something Kind. Break a Never. Stop an Always. Figure out God.

“Some people write a bucket list, you know… things they want to do and tick off before they die. Honestly? Dying doesn’t seem half as scary as the big-O birthday that’s hunting me down. So I’ve made my own list. Things I want to do and tick off before I eat that birthday cake. So far, it’s not going too well.”

~*~

Fresh from a spectacular break-up and faced with a looming big-O birthday, Meg throws her cautious nature aside and signs up for dance classes. Little does she know that Ballroom will stretch more than just her muscles. Between the charming dance instructor and his secrets, her grumpy neighbour and a fish that can’t swim straight, Meg’s list seems doomed from the start.

~*~

Heart-felt and funny, Meg’s list-crossing quest takes her so far out of her comfort zone, she may never find her way back.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

13 comments:

  1. You had me at cake...the cover and description seal the deal. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that opening! And oh my gosh do I know that experience with shoes. LOL This sounds like a fun read. I hope you have a great weekend, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I hope you have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  3. Love both the opening lines and the synopsis of this one! Another book I now have to read. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m currently reading The Love Script by Toni Shiloh. It’s really cute!
    “The wind whipped through the car’s sunroof, the sound competing with a serenade by H.E.R. on the R&B station as I drove down Coldwater Canyon.”
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. I'm going to have to look for this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great opener! This book sounds really good! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete