Friday, January 5, 2024

The Souls of Lost Lake

Title: The Souls of Lost Lake

Author: Jaime Jo Wright

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense, Historical, Romance

Source: Own

My Review:

Jaime Jo Wright has another winner with The Souls of Lost Lake

While I was invested in both timelines, I was so much more invested in the historical timeline. Ava's story was incredible. I had to keep reading to see what had happened to her family and what happened to her.

Wren's story was captivating as well. However, I was annoyed with some of her relationship choices at the beginning of the story (no details, not spoiling anything!). As the story progresses, she finally comes to her senses, LOL, but she has so much going on.

Read for:

✔Creep factor

✔captivating storylines

✔unexpected twists

✔atmospheric vibes

✔mysterious elements

✔fantastic characterization

✔ spiritual truths (and while this might seem to contradict the creep factor, the story is well-balanced)

While some might say the book is "too" creepy, or "too" spooky, my son and I loved it. I can't read true horror books or scary books on the secular market. I can't handle that kind of story as I've gotten older. However, this one is not too detailed. Hopefully, I am making sense. I loved this book, and I am glad I own it.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Wren Blythe has long enjoyed being among the Northwoods, helping her father with programming at a youth camp. But when a little girl in the area goes missing, an all-out search ensues, reviving the decades-old campfire story of Ava Coons, the murderess, who still roams the woods. Joining the search, Wren stumbles upon the Coons cabin ruins and a rotting porcelain doll. But even more terrifying is seeing her name etched on the doll's foot like a sinister omen.

In 1930, Ava Coons has spent the last ten years carrying the mantle of mystery since she emerged from the forest as an eight-year-old girl, spattered with blood, dragging a logger's axe. She has accepted she'll never remember what happened to her family. When a member of the town of Tempter's Creek is murdered, rumors spread that Ava's secret is more malicious than previously imagined.

Both women discover that to save the innocent, they must face an insidious evil.

6 comments:

  1. One of my most favorites of her books. I am so glad you introduced me to this author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, me too!! That's the point of these blogs, right?!

      Delete
  2. Great review, Cindy! This is one of my favorite Jaime Jo Wright books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to give another of Jaime's books a try. I read one back when she first released a novel in the market, and honestly, I cannot remember if I enjoyed it or not. But her titles and cover always intrigue me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rissi, they are so good. I have given one or two of them 3-stars, but overall her books are fabulous!

      Delete