Wednesday, February 7, 2024

The Premonition at Withers Farm

Title: The Premonition at Withers Farm

Author: Jaime Jo Wright

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense, Historical, Dual-time

Source: Library

My Review:

I know if I want a story that will keep me guessing until the very end to read Jaime Jo Wright. The Premonition at Withers Farm fit the bill perfectly.

However, I have mixed feelings on the book. I am not entirely sure how to review it. I am not into spiritualism and seances and this book has it in spades. But, there are eventually explanations for how everything worked. 

Read for:

  • redemption in a troubled marriage
  • ghost sightings
  • unexpected twists
  • serious creep factor
  • eerie nursery rhyme
  • chickens
  • impossible to figure out who the murders are in both timelines

I wasn't quite ready to let this story go when I finished the book. So, while I have mixed feelings, I enjoyed it overall. It is exceptionally well-written and captivating.

Trigger warnings: mental health issues, mentioned miscarriages, depression

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

In 1910 Michigan, Perliett VanHilton is a self-proclaimed rural healer, leaving the local doctor, George Wasziak, convinced she practices quackery. It doesn't help that her mother, Maribeth VanHilton, is a Spiritualist who regularly offers her services to help others speak to their dearly departed. But when Perliett is targeted by a superstitious killer, she relies on both George and an intriguing newcomer for help.

In the present day, life has not developed the way Molly Wasziak dreamed. Facing depression after multiple miscarriages, Molly is adapting to her husband's purchase of a new farm. A search for a family tree pulls Molly deep into a vintage web of deceptions, made more mysterious by the disturbing shadows and sounds in the old farmhouse.

Perliett fights for her life, and Molly seeks renewed purpose for hers as she uncovers the records of the dead. Will their voices be heard, or will time silence their truths forever?

8 comments:

  1. Oooh. This book sounds right up my alley. Even though I don't believe spiritualism or seances either, I think they can be fascinating to read or see in books and films (as long as it's not something that's too scary or devilish). I'm glad you liked the other aspects of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you've read a lot of books by this author. I'm curious...which is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, so many, LOL! I really enjoyed The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus, The Souls of Lost Lake, Echoes Among the Stones, The Curse of Misty Wayfair, and The House on Foster Hill.

      Delete
    2. The circus one sounds really good to me. But I'm jotting down the other titles, too. Thanks! :D

      Delete
    3. Lark, you are very welcome!!

      Delete
  3. One author I love but need to catch up on with published books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarita, I understand completely! I have a few more of hers to catch up on!

      Delete