Friday, October 18, 2024

The Blue Castle

Title: The Blue Castle

Author: L. M. Montgomery

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

Genre: Classic, Historical Fiction, Romance, Young Adult

Source: Own

My Review:

The only books I have read by L.M. Montgomery are the Anne of Green Gables series. I enjoyed them as a child and have always wondered if I would enjoy them as an adult. I have had The Blue Castle on my shelf for a few years. 

I enjoyed the story. The first few chapters were depressing! I wasn't sure where the book was going, but I was so amused once Valancy found her backbone. I was also so proud of her! I loved her character growth. I appreciated that she didn't listen to the rumors about other people and count them out as her family was so quick to do.

I figured out several things quickly, but there was one plot twist  I did not see coming, it was very cleverly written. Looking back, the signs were there, but it was still unexpected. 

This is one of the few books I have read with my book club where everyone enjoyed the story. 

Now, there were a few things that annoyed me as well. I was not expecting any cuss words in the book, not even milder ones, like da-- that was used. There was also a scene toward the end that annoyed me, but I won't give details because I don't want to spoil it for you. Regardless, I highly recommend the story.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

An unforgettable story of courage and romance. Will Valancy Stirling ever escape her strict family and find true love?

Valancy Stirling is 29, unmarried, and has never been in love. Living with her overbearing mother and meddlesome aunt, she finds her only consolation in the "forbidden" books of John Foster and her daydreams of the Blue Castle--a place where all her dreams come true and she can be who she truly wants to be. After getting shocking news from the doctor, she rebels against her family and discovers a surprising new world, full of love and adventures far beyond her most secret dreams.

6 comments:

  1. I generally don’t like classics or anything depressing so I’m not sure that this one is for me. I’m wondering if there are fantasy elements in here. The description makes me feel like there might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla, only the beginning was depressing, the rest was good. I generally avoid depressing and classics, but I enjoyed this one. Some of our book club members also said they got the feel of fantasy elements, even though it it not a fantasy.

      Delete
  2. I love this book, and always cheer Valancy for standing up for herself and not being her family's doormat any more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. Yes, the first several chapters were depressing for sure, but I loved seeing how Valancy escaped that terrible home and found something so much better.

    ReplyDelete