
Author: Nancy Moser
Source: Own
My Review:
I was tricked. Bamboozled. Taken in. Okay, maybe not, but I judged this book by its cover and *assumed* it was a light-hearted read. It is not.
There are nine main characters, so the beginning gets a little confusing. All of them have issues, things like needing a new heart, kidney, eyes, or being in an abusive relationship. You can see where the story is going (slight spoiler-organ donation). But, obviously you don't know how it is going to get there. I had my assumptions, but I was wrong. I was angry at what actually happened. I wasn't happy that while the story has a redemptive theme, it is super heavy.
It was interesting, but I wouldn't read it again, or another book written in the same way this one was written. It was jarring bouncing between so many different characters.
And this is a spoiler/content warning that needs to be mentioned: while there are several deaths, one is an eleven-year-old child. That is not something I want to read and it may or may not bother you, but I did think you should be aware (she is not the organ donor).
★★★/5
Synopsis (Goodreads):
Sometimes good things are nearer than expected. Margery has a nothing job, a nothing marriage, and zero self-esteem. Angie has everything she could ever want, except a life of her own making. Talia is overwhelmed by her pregnancy, by handling her career, and by caring for her toddler and a home-bound husband who needs a new heart. Gennifer has a high-powered career and a family that's learned to fend without her. Gladys has never been married and approaches her golden years alone with failing eyesight. For the patrons of Neighbor's Drugstore, the key to a rich, fulfilled life is closer than they think, if only they can open their hearts to the good nearby.
The story does get a bit darker than that cover implies! Good warning about the death of the eleven-year-old! That's too sad for me right now.
ReplyDeleteLark, right?! I was shocked and upset.
Delete