Saturday, October 10, 2026

The Bachelor Spy

Title: The Bachelor Spy

Series: Freddie & Grace Mystery #5

Author: Pepper Basham

Source: Own

My Review:

I love Pepper Basham's books, but I was hesitant to read this one. I loved the first book in the series. However, the others haven't interested me as much. I think I have finally figured out why.

While all the books in the series are historical fiction, the first book is set around Christmas, and it feels more like a contemporary read. All the other books have Grace and Freddie solving mysteries in exotic places (but the mysteries themselves haven't interested me). This is obviously a me problem, and not a story problem. 

Now, this story. Grace is at home, and Frederick is away for the war effort. This right here is problem number one for me. Grace and Freddie shine together, but apart, Grace gets in her head too much...and several parts of the story feel redundant.

Second, Grace is intelligent, although naive. However, she doesn't realize or research something that is obvious to the reader, and as an intelligent woman in every other story, this plot point fell flat and was completely unbelievable. 

Overall, I am glad that I finished the series, but this was my least favorite of the series. While I didn't love it, I do recommend it and the entire series. My problems are not ones that most readers will have.

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Spies Infiltrate Havensbooke Hall. . .and Another Mystery Adventure Begins

Stephen Blake's life goal is to protect people, especially those closest to him, but war in 1915 England doesn’t follow any rules. When Blake is informed that a noted German spy may have taken up residence at Havensbrooke Hall—his cousin Lord Astley’s estate, which is being used as a convalescent war hospital—he’s sent there to uncover the plot.

Lady Grace Astley has become a force to be reckoned with while Frederick is out on the war front. With Havensbrooke as a hospital, she’s shocked by the devastation the war is bringing home; but ever hopeful, she is determined to help these weary soldiers find some relief. However, not everything is as it seems inside Havensbrooke. Precious items soon start disappearing. . .and not just the kind that are worth a lot of money.

Through a case of mistaken identity, a comedy of errors, a kidnapping, and a race for time within the crumbling subterranean passageways beneath Havensbrooke, can Blake and Gracie work together to root out the criminals, thieves, and spies before time runs out?

No comments:

Post a Comment