Friday, May 28, 2021

The Paris Betrayal

The Paris Betrayal

Title: The Paris Betrayal

Author: James R. Hannibal

Publisher: Revell

Genre: Suspense, Christian Fiction, Thriller 

My Review:

This book would be considered outside my comfort zone and a new-to-me author. While I love mystery and suspense novels, this one is more about spies and biochemical warfare. While it was not quite what I expected I found it to be an enjoyable, quick read. I would recommend reading the author's note at the end of the book before actually reading the book. I wish I had as the story would make even more sense that way, and you get a greater appreciation for the story.

"From a rooftop perch, Ben Calix watched the courier leave the Tiber and cross the piazza. He traced his scope from the man's temple down to his forearm."

The author's voice is unique, his storyline flows smoothly, the dialogue is engaging, her characters real and relatable. There were quite a few unexpected moments. The book keeps you guessing and quickly turning the pages until the very end.

"Screams hit Ben's ears-two versions of the same scream, one live and one over the comm link. Giselle."

I appreciated thy dry humor and witty comments. I enjoyed the way you questioned the motives behind each character. I also liked the way the Covid pandemic was mentioned in this book. I was also glad that all things were made clear at the end of the book, you are not left guessing or left without answers.

I did not realize that this book parallels Job, it was not obvious and I wish it had been stated earlier, instead of in the author's note, as I would have appreciated the book even more. While this is considered to be Christian Fiction it does not come across as Christian at all. It talks about faith, but not necessarily faith as in religion. Therefore this book would appeal to anyone who loves action-packed, thriller, espionage-type suspense.  

Thank you to Revell and the author for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★★/5

Synopsis:

After a rough mission in Rome involving the discovery of a devastating bioweapon, Company spy Ben Calix returns to Paris to find his perfectly ordered world has collapsed. A sniper attack. An ambush. A call for help that brings French SWAT forces down on his head. Ben is out. This is a severance--reserved for incompetents and traitors.

Searching for answers and anticipating a coming attack, Ben and a woman swept up in his misfortunes must travel across Europe to find the sniper who tried to kill him, the medic who saved his life, the schoolmaster who trained him, and an upstart hacker from his former team. More than that, Ben must come to grips with his own insignificance as the Company's plan to stop Leviathan from unleashing the bioweapon at any cost moves forward without him--and he struggles against the infection that is swiftly claiming territory within his own body.

Award-winning author James R. Hannibal ratchets up the tension on every page of this suspenseful new thriller.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment