Sunday, January 23, 2022

Song of Silence

Title: Song of Silence

Author: Cynthia Ruchti

Publisher: Guideposts

Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Christian Fiction

Source: Own

My Review:

I was introduced to Cynthia Ruchti's works last year. Ever since I have been on a quest to find her books. I want to read them all. I love her writer's voice. It is unique and engaging.

"Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing." -Kahlil Gibran

Song of Silence is one of those books that I will never find all the right words to adequately portray my thoughts. It is a book that takes you on an emotional roller coaster, with all the feels, including the bottom dropping out.

"Be brave. Braver than you feel."

Charlie was happy to retire. He does not understand why Lucy is not happy. The difference is, Charlie got to choose, and for Lucy, the choice was made for her. She loves music and can't imagine doing anything else. She is not able to grieve her forced retirement before Charlie is celebrating. 

So...after all these years, he's found his life's passion. On the day she lost hers.

One of the things I love about this book is that Lucy and Charlie have been married for years. They are completely committed to each other and their family, even though they don't always see eye to eye. It was refreshing reading a book with a more mature marriage (that continues to mature and evolve as the years go by). 

And waiting takes courage in larger measure than most people understand.

I adored this lovely and unique cast of characters. Lucy. Charlie. SamWise. Olivia. Caden. The "hat" club. Dr. Hanley. Sasha. Evan. Each one is intricate to the overall story. Each one with a story to tell.

There are so many layers to this story. Song of Silence deals with grief, the loss of passion, a faith crisis, Asperger's, music, trama, therapy, and so much more. It is beautifully, captivatingly written. It flows like a song that will have you appreciating both the music and the silence. 

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a more seasoned contemporary romance story.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

 Lucy and Charlie Tuttle agree on one thing: they're committed to each other for life. Trouble is, neither of them expected life to look like this. While Charlie retired early, Lucy is devoted to a long-term career . . . until the day she has no choice.

Forced to retire from her position as music educator in a small Midwestern K-8 school, Lucy can only watch helplessly as the program her father started years ago disintegrates before her eyes. As the music fades and a chasm separates her from the passion of her heart, Lucy wonders if her faith's song has gone silent, too. The musical score of her life seems to be missing all the notes.

When a simple misstep threatens to silence Lucy forever, a young boy and his soundless mother change the way she sees--and hears--everything.

12 comments:

  1. It's nice to find a book that resonates with you on a deeper level. Have a good reading rest of week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, it was such a great book, my first 5-star of the year :) Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. I already feel drawn to Charlie and Lucy. I'll have to look for a copy of this one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lark, they are great characters. I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes at Charlie, but his heart was always in the right place! I hope you can find a copy of it, I had bought it at a used bookstore a while back.

      Delete
  3. Glad that you enjoyed this one, and lovely review! I love the quotes that you shared from the book. It's also refreshing to hear that this book followed a relationship in which the two people grew with each other.

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, it was a wonderful book, not one I will soon forget.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've heard of this book. Glad you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this does sound wonderful. I enjoy stories with older characters as well. And that cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it was fabulous! I think you would enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a good read. I'm glad you enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete