Sunday, March 20, 2022

Retying the Knot

Title: Retying the Knot

Series: The Fab Forties #1

Author: Liwen Y. Ho

Publisher: Liwen Y. Ho

Genre: Romantic Comedy, Christian Fiction

Source: Owned

My review:

Retying the Knot is the first book that I have read by Liwen Y. Ho, and I would like to try other books by her.

I was super excited about this book for a variety of reasons. I am in my forties, so I was excited about a series that features my age. I love romantic comedies, so I was looking forward to what the book had to offer.

Unfortunately, while the book was okay, it wasn't great. The writing was good but I think it was misrepresented. The author tried to make it a romantic comedy, but it fell flat. I found very little humor in the book and that was disappointing.

Things that I liked:

The front cover-it is so cute and fun.

Mimi-she is an awesome teenager and just so cute!

That Peter and Piper are trying to do what is right for Mimi.

The book has a happily ever after.

What I struggled with:

The unrealistic nature of the story line. No spoilers but not buying what happened that led to Mimi, or the fact that if either Piper or Peter had been honest about how they felt, things could have been different and better.

Piper was immature in her relationship with Mimi.

Calvin was a jerk and Piper's stupid agreement with him.

Overall, I liked the book, and I am glad I tried this author. She does explain in the afterword that this is a spin-off of the Edenvale Arts Academy series and that she knew it would be hard to write this story as funny because of Peter and Piper's complicated history. I have not read that series so I don't know how/if it would have changed my thoughts here.

★★★/5

Synopsis (from Amazon): 

If your marriage didn’t work out once, marry the same person again… said no couple ever.

Piper

Here’s the scoop—I married my former study partner for money’s sake. I promise you it’s not as bad as it sounds. Peter needed a wife in order to receive his dad’s inheritance… so I did what any friend would do, I said yes. 

Peter

A marriage on paper—that’s all the guts I had to ask for. Of course, if Piper had wanted more, I would’ve gladly given her myself and all the puppies and chocolate in the world. Instead, I surprised her by paying off her med school bills, then took my broken heart and moved to another country.

Piper

So, here’s the part that does sound bad. I got pregnant (the details of our wedding night are a bit fuzzy). His mom hated me (still does). And we left our baby to be raised by her over-the-top grandmother when we parted ways. I told you it was bad. But now Peter’s reaching out to me and it’s making me wonder...

Peter

Do I have regrets? Absolutely! Turning forty made me realize I can't waste a chance to make things right with the two most important women in my life. I’ve reunited with our daughter and now it’s time to win over Piper. If only she wasn’t already engaged to another man...

10 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one. It's nice to see more books with heroines in their forties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hard to write really funny romantic comedies; a lot of them seem to fall a little short. It's too bad this one didn't meet your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I have found some good ones. The story line just didn't lend itself to be super funny, too much of a history.

      Delete
  3. It sure has a good premise. I'm sorry you didn't love this one. I have found quite a few books marketed as romantic comedies, and they just aren't funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wendy, I have as well. I asked for recommendations about 2 years back and one author said her books were. I read the first one and it was a one or two star read (can't remember which) but I was really disappointed and I rarely rate that low because I am anticipating liking the books I have picked to read.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this author or book before seeing it here, but the cover IS fun. :) Thanks so much for sharing! Probably not one I'll dive into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I will try other books of hers because I am curious, but this one was not a favorite.

      Delete