Monday, March 21, 2022

To Marry An Earl

Title: To Marry an Earl

Author: Karen Thornell

Publisher: Covenant Communications

Genre: Historical Fiction, Regency,

Source: Own

My review:

To Marry an Earl is a debut novel by Karen Thornell (published in 2021). For so long, I have said I don't like historical fiction, but I am finding that I enjoy Regency novels and historical fiction with hints of humor. To Marry an Earl falls into both of those categories.

This story captivated me from the opening scene and turned into a book that I did not want to put down to get other things done. I liked Katherine and could not believe what her father put her through. The back cover describes him as "atrocious," but that does not even begin to describe him. Despite her upbringing, Katherine is a strong character and attempts to make the most out of her situation.

James is a likable hero. He is kind and goes above and beyond for Katherine. His biggest fault is not being honest with Katherine when they meet up after being apart for years.

I appreciated the author's hints of humor in the story. The following lines are a small sample that made me snicker (keep in mind the time period is 1812):

The feeling of being on a horse was the closest she imagined mankind would ever come to flying. If she could have released her hands and raised them about her head, she might have. 

While To Marry an Earl might be a debut novel, the story flows seamlessly, giving off the air of a seasoned writer. Thornell wove a wonderful story of romance, mystery, intrigue, with doses of humor. I highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys Regency romances and historical fiction.

★★★⭑/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

Katherine Cartwright knows through bitter experience that true love is fiction and trust should not be bestowed easily. Now, after two unsuccessful London Seasons, her atrocious father has decided to marry her off to the highest bidder to pay for his gambling debts, ridding himself of the daughter he never wanted. A profitable deal is struck, and Kate is packed off to the home of her betrothed, an earl she has never met. Or so she believes.

When James Fenwick, the new Earl of Bowcott, learns that the girl he’s loved since childhood is being sold off like chattel, he’s determined to step in and save her. He makes an offer her father cannot refuse and insists on a proper engagement. But when Kate meets James again, her old friend cannot bring himself to admit it is him whom she is to marry. Soon, an intricate charade and a past that cannot be escaped jeopardize James’s chance at rekindling their friendship, to say nothing of winning Kate’s heart. Can love truly conquer all, or was this a match doomed
from the start?
 

14 comments:

  1. Authors of historic fiction never run out of new places/times to write about!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad you've discovered a type of historical fiction you can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this one, mostly because of James trying to save the girl he's loved since he was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall, I prefer contemporary books, but I do enjoy a bit of historical fiction now and then. I just can't read it all the time. Nice that this debut novel reads like a seasoned author's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I still prefer contemporary books but I am glad to have broadened my horizons and found a niche I can enjoy :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah I thought I didn't like historical fiction .... but after a few ... I started liking it more. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think it's about finding the right sub-genre in the overall genre. I really enjoy the dual time lines as well.

      Delete
  6. Just finished watching Bridgerton and this seems like the best thing to pick up now. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have not watched Bridgerton but have thought about trying it.

      Delete