Friday, April 22, 2022

Apartment Kitchen Gardening

Title: Apartment Kitchen Gardening

Author: James Jacques

Genre: Nature, Educational, Gardening

Publisher: Pelargonium Press

Source: Publisher Provided

My Review:

I was impressed with the Apartment Kitchen Gardening guide. 

I was expecting pictures and recipes. However, what I got was a wonderful, informative guide on how to garden indoors, with limited space and resources. 

He who sees things grow from the beginning will have the best view of them.-Aristotle

This book discusses the basics of what you need, from water, the growing medium, and amount of light, to a variety of herbs, fruits, and vegetables that you can grow. It also explains where in your home you can grow the different plants. I learned so much from this book. I especially loved the pineapple project, it pretty much blew my mind.

I thought the graphics were okay. They look hand-drawn, which is fine, but I would have preferred real pictures and some illustrations as I can't easily visualize things.  Other than that, I was impressed with this book.

I would recommend this to anyone with a desire to grow their own plants, regardless of the amount of space you have. It is a valuable resource that you can can come back to again and again as you try your hand at growing your own food. 

Thank you to the publisher for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Amazon): 

Would you like to grow your own food indoors? Even if you don't have a yard, you can easily grow fresh, healthy fruit, vegetables and culinary herbs, and this book will show you how. Veteran gardener James Jacques explains everything you need to know, from choosing and sowing to growing and harvesting a wide range of edibles, from oregano to oranges to oyster mushrooms.

This easy-to-follow, practical guide outlines the basic equipment that will set you up to succeed, with an emphasis on low-budget options, including DIY and creative upcycling projects, before also introducing more advanced gear from lighting to hydroponic kits. After touring potential growing areas around your home, from windowsills and window boxes to balconies and hanging displays, James also explores possibilities for growing elsewhere, from rooftop gardening to community and allotment gardening schemes, if you don't have your own yard.

Whether you just fancy having a few herbs on a windowsill, or want to transform your home into an abundant oasis of produce, James will help you get the best out of your plants and inspire you to get growing.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! I don't live in an apartment, but I do live with my parents and I don't have a ton of space to garden. I'm glad it was a good one!

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash, yeah, it's good for anyone with tight space. There is quite a bit of creativity :)

      Delete
  2. I've tried to grow herbs in my house, but I'm not a very attentive gardener as I tend to forget about them and then they die. But, I should try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I have not tried in my house but I am also a little absent minded with remembering to water things. I think it would be great to grow my own herbs instead of buying them...something to consider.

      Delete
  3. I do grow flowers indoors, but I’ve always wanted to grow veggies year round indoors. I need to check this book out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete