Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Much Ado About a Latte

Title: Much Ado About a Latte

Series: Maple Falls #2

Author: Kathleen Fuller

Genre: Christian Fiction, Romance,

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Source: Library

My Review:

I love the cover of Much Ado About a Latte and felt it had a lot going for it.

I enjoyed the first chapter and felt that Tanner was super sweet and caring toward Anita. I loved that it began with a scene from their high school days.

Unfortunately, from there the story dragged quite a bit. It was very slow and mostly about the two of them denying their feelings for each other. It wasn't until the last third of the book that the conflict with the coffee shop came in and then it rushed toward a peaceful conclusion. I also felt the side story with Tanner's mom was unnecessary.

I felt like Tanner was more mature in high school than he was as an adult. I also thought the romance felt lackluster, no chemistry.

I am glad a gave it a try but will look at other reviews before I consider reading the third book in this series. I really enjoy Kathleen Fuller's Amish novels, but this one just didn't cut it for me.

★★⋆/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

This synopsis does not match the cover of the book which is closer to what actually happens than this description is. 

She’s loved him for years, but now he’s her biggest competition. Is this town big enough for two coffee shops?

The Sunshine Diner has been Tanner Castillo’s home away from home for years, and his place behind the counter is a fixture in the small town of Maple Falls. After years of working there and saving every penny, he is able to purchase the diner and make the necessary renovations to bring it into the 21st century. Growing up poor, Tanner's always felt like he’s needed something to his name before he could ask out Anita Bedford.

Due to some savvy business investments, Anita’s parents have been able to provide her and her siblings with everything they’ve ever needed or wanted. But Anita doesn’t have the same ambitions as her doctor brother and lawyer sister. She’s always been happy to work as a waitress at the diner, especially since it kept her close to Tanner, whom she’s been crushing on since middle school.

When her father decides to open a coffee shop and bakery, he puts Anita in charge,(This is NOT what happened) making her the direct competition to Tanner’s Sunshine Diner. After working side-by-side for years, can working against each other finally be the thing that brings these two lovebirds together?

 Challenges:

 

8 comments:

  1. This does have a great cover and the premise seems good. Too bad it wasn't as great as it seemed. I have also enjoyed Kathleen Fuller's Amish books. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen, it was a hard review to write.

      Delete
  2. The cover is super cute, and I think this is the one by Kathleen I did pick up. Bummer it's not quite as good as it could be. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Cindy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover and other people gave it 5 stars so take my review with a grain of salt ;)

      Delete
  3. Gosh, the cover and blurb make it sound so good. On to the next great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lackluster romance and a story that drags...never a good thing!

    ReplyDelete