Tuesday, July 26, 2022

A Claim of her Own

Title: A Claim of Her Own

Author: Stephanie Grace Whitson

Genre: Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction, Westerns, Romance

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Library

Challenges: Literary Escapes

My review:

A Claim of Her Own is the first book I have read by Stephanie Whitson. It took me a little bit to get into the book and follow the characters. 

Mattie heads to Deadwood, South Dakota to join her brother, even though he had been urging her to wait. Her plans quickly derail and her mettle is tested. Mattie has to overcome and adapt, striking a new plan.

A slow read with a strong Christian message woven through. The characters are well-developed, although the relationship with Mattie and Aron needs work. I never felt fully connected to the story or the characters. Overall, a decent read, but I am not sure I will try this author again.

★★★/5

Synopsis:

It's 1876 and twenty-year-old Mattie Flynn is determined to make a fresh start after fleeing from her sinister boss in the gambling house where she was employed as a singer. Mattie travels to Deadwood, South Dakota, in search of her younger brother, who had hoped to make his fortune in the gold mines.

All Mattie wants is a safe and respectable life for herself and her brother, but all she seems to find is trouble. Is it possible that the bottles of gold dust from her brother's claim could be the key to their future - or does the handsome street preacher hold the answers to some of her deepest longings?

4 comments:

  1. The only book by Whitson that I've read is Sixteen Brides, but I thought that one was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the humor in it, and I always like that homesteading trope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in South Dakota for 10 years, and just love the history of the area, especially Deadwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it would be wonderful to visit the western states someday!!

      Delete