Thursday, July 21, 2022

Fighting Words

Title: Fighting Words: 100 Days of Speaking Truth Into the Darkness

Author: Ellie Holcomb

Genre: Nonfiction, Devotional, Spiritual Growth, Christian Living

Publisher: B&H Publishing

Source: Own

My review:

I heard about Fighting Words: 100 Days of Speaking Truth Into the Darkness by Ellie Holcomb through Proverbs 31 Ministries when they decided to use this book as their next Online Bible Study.

When I saw the title, I was ALL in. Who doesn't need fighting words to help us through our darkest seasons?

Love wins in the end, and this is why we can 'rejoice always.' This is why we've always got a reason to sing.

Fighting Words is a beautiful hardback book with an attached ribbon to mark your place. The back of the book is designed like the front, but instead of the title, there is a Scripture verse.

It reminds me that because of who God is, I can feel lonely, and yet I'm never fully alone. I can feel awkward, and yet know that I'm embraced. I can feel unsteady about who I am and remember that even on the days I forget who I am and who God made me to be, I am grounded and anchored in Love.

Each day starts with a Bible verse, followed by a story/devotional. At the end are questions for you to think about and respond to, followed by a short prayer. Each day will take about five minutes, depending on how much thought you put into the questions at the end. Ten pages in the book are Bible verses that you are encouraged to memorize.

I love this devotional. I have learned so much about Ellie Holcomb that I did not know. Including that she sings one of my favorite songs on the radio 😀 I had not connected the author and artist. I appreciate the conversational tone of each day. It's like sitting down with your friend and having a thoughtful conversation. I have found that so many days are exactly what I needed at that moment. 

Once I got a few days into the book, I bought a copy for my son and daughter. This book is perfect for anyone who wants encouragement during the darkest days or to have Scripture ready for when those days come. This is a devotional I will keep and go through again.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Whether it’s a dream that isn’t coming true, a stretch of the journey that feels especially dark, or just the basic “busy and tired” each of us braves in the crazy chaos of the ordinary, have you ever faced a season where “life to the full” feels just out of reach, light seems like it it’s just over the horizon, or lies seem to crowd out the truth?
 
If you’re anything like Ellie Holcomb, the answer is yes. For her in these seasons, God’s Word has been a shelter, a comfort, a song, a balm, and an anchor. Ultimately, it’s been a light that has helped kick back at the darkness of the lies we so often believe. In her debut devotional, Fighting Words, you are invited to come alongside Ellie, as you ponder the power of God’s promises together and speak them into the darkest corners of your soul. 
 
Filled with encouraging and honest reflections, beautifully designed Scripture memory pages, and wonderful questions to help you processFighting Words is a place where you can wrestle, respond to, and take hold of precious truths in God's Word to help you push back the lies that so often consume, distract, and destroy us. 
  
God's Word is alive. In this devotional, Ellie invites you to steep your soul in the living Word, take hold of it, wrestle with it, bury it in your heart, and watch as it brings about life and flourishing. As you journey along with Ellie, you’ll find that little by little, you're fighting the lies with the truth, kicking back the darkness, and living in the light.

10 comments:

  1. I love books that give you an uplifting scripture and thought to read each day. And you're so right...who doesn't need good fighting words to see them through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, this sounds fantastic. I just think that there are so many people in this season who could really be blessed by this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very helpful. It says something that you got extra copies for your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! It's so nice to find something that has true meaning to you. It sounds like something you'll re-read often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Cindy! I just added this to my wishlist. I'm always looking for new devotionals, and this one sounds like a spectacular one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, it is SO worth owning!! I hope you are able to get it soon!

      Delete