Friday, July 22, 2022

First Line Friday #56- A Claim of Her Own

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Any plans for the weekend? I am planning to relax before we travel again at the end of the week.

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading A Claim of Her Own  by Stephanie Grace Whitson.

 Walking down the main street in Deadwood is like stepping onto hell's front porch.

Book Beginnings:  

Walking down the main street in Deadwood is like stepping onto hell's front porch. It's frenzied and filthy, and it's the last place on earth a man would want to bring any woman he cared about. Be patient. I know it's hard, but you have to trust me about the timing.

About the book:

It's 1876 and twenty-year-old Mattie Flynn is determined to make a fresh start after fleeing from her sinister boss in the gambling house where she was employed as a singer. Mattie travels to Deadwood, South Dakota, in search of her younger brother, who had hoped to make his fortune in the gold mines.

All Mattie wants is a safe and respectable life for herself and her brother, but all she seems to find is trouble. Is it possible that the bottles of gold dust from her brother's claim could be the key to their future - or does the handsome street preacher hold the answers to some of her deepest longings?

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

24 comments:

  1. What an opening! I definitely want to keep reading. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadwood sounds like where I live - it feels like hell's front porch here, too. What a great start!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that first line! It totally makes me want to know what happens next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a good read. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great historical.

    My first line this week comes from Critical Alliance by Elizabeth Goddard:
    Her world was spinning out of control. Correction. Not her world but her body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I look forward to reading that one!! Great first lines.

      Delete
  6. This one sounds really good. I haven't read a book of hers in years. Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanne, It's my first by her, I am reading it for it's location ;)

      Delete
  7. I used to live near Deadwood, and the stories and history of that town are amazing. I would love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, wow, I wasn't even sure if it was a real place. That's pretty cool!

      Delete
  8. That opening makes me very curious! I have to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I agree, it's off to a good start.

      Delete
  9. I am currently reading The Bachelor and the Bride by Sarah M. Eden. It's really good.
    "In recent years, in the area of London near Belsize Park, a young physician by the name of Sefton Palmer established himself as a reliable man of medicine and an individual of inquisitive disposition."
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a good one!

    I'm reading A Dream of Family by Jill Weatherholt. The first line is: "Past Due."

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, I have not read any of her books but I look forward to at some point in time. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  11. I definitely want to keep reading after that opening! Happy reading 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to go visit Deadwood, the history there is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete