Friday, August 26, 2022

First Line Friday #61-Cross the Line

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Any plans for the weekend? I am in Ohio moving my daughter back to college 😢 and will be spending all day tomorrow driving back home.

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading Cross the Line by C.C. Warrens. It's the fourth book in the Holly series. I LOVED the first three books, they are FABULOUS, more suspense/thriller, little to no romance, and I am enjoying this one!!!

 

Flush against the wall, I peered around the corner and up the staircase at the hallway.

Book Beginnings:

Flush against the wall, I peered around the corner and up the staircase at the hallway. The second floor was quiet except for muffled voices coming from one of the apartments.

I tugged my fluffy hat further down over my red braids, as if it could do anything to mask my identity if I was spotted, and crept up the steps.

About the book (Goodreads):

An unexpected, late-night visitor.
And a missing teenage girl.

Holly’s quiet evening at the investigative agency takes a curious turn when a frantic woman shows up on the doorstep after closing with a tale about a missing prostitute.

With JGH Investigations in financial distress, and a client who can’t afford their services, Holly decides to tackle this investigation on her own time. She soon learns, however, that this missing girl isn’t just missing—she’s been taken. Holly’s questions dredge up more danger than answers, and if she’s not careful, she might disappear just like the girl she’s trying to find, the girl some people believe is already dead.

Determined to keep Holly safe, Jordan joins the investigation, and together, they wade through a world of prostitution, wealth, and lies in search of the truth. But the truth is hard to find, when even the witnesses have secrets.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

18 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “PLEASE JOIN US”

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I really need to start this series. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Holly Cross! Crystal is a fabulous writer!

    My first line comes from The Finding of Miss Fairfield by Grace Hitchcock:
    Sophia Fairfield’s heart skipped at the sight if Mother holding a damp handkerchief to her eyes as Father and his business partner Prescott Payne , stood before the floor length windows facing Charleston Harbor with their heads together, soeaking in low somber tones over the crackling of the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I agree! I have not started this series (yet) from Grace Hitchcock.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Cindy. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading Eloise and the Grump Next Door by St. Clair and Proctor. It is so much fun!
    "The sun is an evil, evil orb."
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I bought this one too and can't wait to read it!!!!

      Delete
  5. This book seems to have great potential though the opening leaves me with more questions than I expected. My quotes come from LESSONS IN CHEMISTRY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I love this series and I am halfway through this one, it is GOOD :)

      Delete
  6. I like how this starts right in the action! I hope you enjoy it, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sounds of this one. Great intro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New series and author to me, but I need to read it! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, yay! I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. That looks like a good one! I'm reading A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer. The first line is: "I'm closing the school, Miss Atherton, and that's my final word on the subject."

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, if you have not read any of her books, you need to, you will love them! I really enjoyed A Worthy Pursuit and I hope you do as well :)

      Delete