Friday, September 2, 2022

First Line Friday #62- Never Leave Me

 Happy Friday, my bookish friends! And, Happy Labor Day weekend for those in the states.

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading Never Leave Me by Jody Hedlund. It's the second book in the Waters of Time series. While this is not a typical genre I read, I read and loved the first book in the series, Come Back to Me.

"I'm dying, and we can't change that."

Book Beginnings:

"I'm dying, and we can't change that." Even though Ellen Creighton spoke as softly and gently as possible, she could do nothing to soften the harshness of the truth.

In his wheelchair next to the garden bench where she reclined, Harrison Burlington's shoulders deflated. With his elbows propped against his knees, he jammed his fingers into his dark hair.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

In the last stages of a genetic disease, Ellen Creighton has decided to live out her remaining days at the estate of her longtime friend Harrison Burlington. Harrison cares deeply for Ellen, but as a wheelchair-bound paraplegic, he's never allowed himself to get serious in a relationship. However, he's desperately trying to save her by finding the holy water that is believed to heal any disease.

When he locates two flasks, Ellen refuses to drink one of them because she believes the holy water killed her sister and father. In an effort to convince her to take it, Harrison ingests the contents first, and when Ellen witnesses the effects, she can no longer deny the power of the substance in the bottles. Dangerous criminals are also seeking the holy water, and Ellen soon learns they will go to any lengths to get the powerful drug--including sending her back into the past to find it for them.

Bestselling and award-winning author Jody Hedlund plunges you into the swiftly flowing river of history in a race against the clock in this breathtaking, emotional second Waters of Time story.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

16 comments:

  1. Wow...what a premise! I might have to check this series out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, this is not my genre, but the first book was fabulous. I am enjoying this one too, not as much as the first, but could be all the distractions I have going on too.

      Delete
  2. Loved Jody’s time travel books. Glad to know she is writing a third!

    My first line this week is from The Bride of Blackfriars Lane by Michelle Griep:
    London 1885
    September afternoons were meant for soft whispers and stolen kisses, not ash and soot and the gangrenous eye of a ruthless taskmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. I'll have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I think you would like it, it is good.

      Delete
  4. That premise sounds amazing. I hope you enjoy it, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a first line. It hits right away.

    This week I conquered the Grapes of Wrath. My review and quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently reading Sit, Stay, Love by Dana Mentink. It's super cute!
    "Gina was surprised at the size of the ranch."
    Have a great weekend! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a cute book, have a great weekend, Nicole!

      Delete
  7. It isn't my usual genre either, but I enjoy it, too.

    I'm reading another book by Karen Witemeyer: Full Steam Ahead. The first line is: "Passengers jockeyed for position along the steamboat Louisiana's railings, waving and calling merry farewells to the crowd lining the levee."

    Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, that one is on my TBR, can't wait to get to it.

      Delete
  8. This series is on my TBR list. I've heard such wonderful things about it. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete