Friday, September 23, 2022

First Line Friday #64-Eloise and the Grump Next Door

 Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading Eloise and the Grump Next Door by Emma St. Clair and Jenny Proctor. It is the first book in the Oakley Island RomCom series.


As far as birthdays go, this one isn't the worst.

Book Beginnings:

Lo

As far as birthdays go, this one isn't the worst.

And by that, I mean the worst in the entire world. For me personally, this birthday takes the cake.

Except it doesn't! Because I don't even have cake. I have a glass of Merlot. My second of the night and-true confession time!-my second glass of wine ever. 

Synopsis (Goodreads):

I’m not sure which is worse--the lawyer handling my grandmother’s estate or the attack pelican living on the screened-in porch. Just kidding--I’ll take the pelican any day.

After graduation, I thought I’d be off to grad school, doing research on my favorite poet. Instead, I’m renovating my late grandmother’s home and posting about the process on Instagram. Talk about a detour …

But here I am. Turning Gran’s beach house into a bed and breakfast--a process that would be a lot easier if I didn’t have to deal with the grumpy lawyer living next door. It doesn’t help that the night Jake and I met, I got a little tipsy, and he had to carry me back to my hotel.

But the longer I stay on Oakley Island, the more I feel a connection to my childhood and to my grandmother. This isn’t the life I dreamed of, but dreams can change. Especially when new dreams include a future with Jake. On the outside, he might be pricklier than a puffer fish, but I catch glimpses of a delicious, cinnamon roll center.

Did I mention the tattoos he hides underneath those crisp button-down shirts? Yowza.

When I’m suddenly presented with the academic opportunity of my dreams (former dreams?), my picturesque life on Oakley starts to unravel.

A part of me wants to stay. If only a certain tattooed grump didn’t seem so determined to send me away …

Eloise and The Grump Next Door is a grumpy sunshine, closed door romantic comedy. The Oakley Island Romcom series follows three very different sisters as they renovate the house they inherited and find love on the island along the way. Each book will have sizzling chemistry but no spice.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

24 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good first-person telling a tale in a humorous way! I hope you are going to keep us posted. Not sure about the tattoos... Let's see what happens!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mareli, I am half way through and the scene with the tattoos had me snort laughing ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. I've been wanting to read more Rom Coms. I will add this to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I really like Emma St. Clair's RomComs, I hope you do as well!

      Delete
  3. I think I'd rather have a glass of wine than a cake for my birthday too. This sounds good, I'm really looking forward to your review. Once I find the time, I want to read this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finishing up In the Shadow of a Queen by Heather B. Moore. It's a really good book!
    "The day had begun early with masses of people arriving at the Windsor Castle grounds. From [Louise's] window's viewpoint, the crowds extended as far as she could see."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe I've read a synopsis told in first person before. It's really fresh. Love the premise. Sounds like a perfect weekend read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first line is coming from Where Grace Appears by Heidi Chiavaroli.
    "The nature of secrets is that they long to be kept and long to be told all at the same time."https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2022/09/first-line-friday-where-grace-appears.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great first line, Kelly-Ann, and so true!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Seems like a good read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a fun read! I hope you enjoy it! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I am, I am close to the end and right now I just want to shake Jake!!

      Delete
  9. My first line comes from As Secret as the Night by Danielle Grandinetti:
    December 6, 1933. Chicago
    Lucia Critelli lowered her head against the bitter wind that raced the cars down the city street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, fun, I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a fun read! I'm currently reading An Abduction Cold Case by Connie Queen and the first line is: "Kennedy Wells slammed on the brakes of her Mini Cooper as she looked out the driver’s-side window and squinted toward the dense woods." Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, sounds good! I have read a few of her books.

      Delete