Monday, November 21, 2022

Sundown

Title: Sundown

Series: Sky King Ranch #3

Author: Susan May Warren

Genre: Christian Romance, Suspense, Contemporary

Publisher: Revell

Source: Revell, Net Galley

My review:

Sundown is the third book in the Sky King Ranch series. I highly recommend reading them in order.  

I enjoyed the first two books in the series, Sunrise, and Sunburst. I was really looking forward to Sundown, but it did not live up to my expectations. I have mixed feelings about the book and will try to explain them. Also, I am reviewing the Kindle edition.

First, I was excited to finally get Colt's story. However, he shares the limelight with his brothers and Tae, with the POV changing between them. I feel Colt got cheated since he didn't get as much coverage as his brothers did. The changing POV was confusing, and in the Kindle version, there was no separation of scenes (you had chapter breaks but no line spaces or anything telling you the POV changed). This got on my nerves. Also, with the changing of perspectives, we got the same conversation twice, especially at the beginning of the book. Once was enough, thank you very much. 

Another thing that bothered me was that there were too many coincidences to be believable. Plus, the random changes of topics.

There were some great quotes like this one:

"You don't have to be in charge of everything. I know it's scary, and you hate feeling helpless, but instead of theorizing the end of the story, what if you just...let the story unravel as it should?"

There were some great scenes as well. However, the bioweapon warfare, all the science talk, and the detailed fights were not for me. I am glad I read this one, and it ends nicely, but it was not up to the same standard as the first two (in my opinion).

Thank you to Net Galley and Revell for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Former Delta Operative Colt Kingston knows when someone is lying. He may not know the truth, but he sure doesn't trust Tae, the woman who is caring for his ailing father at Sky King Ranch. Behind those beautiful blue eyes, he can tell there is a troubled--and smart--woman.

A few of her stories prove true--he's found the crashed plane and the dead body inside. Still, her story of survival seems too incredible to believe . . . until the thugs she claims to be hunting her show up and threaten Sky King Ranch. Now Tae must disappear, along with her secrets.

But Colt's not about to let her go it alone. And when they discover that her secrets include the antidote to a plague that threatens the world, it'll take all three Kingston brothers to save the country they've vowed to protect.

Susan May Warren brings her Sky King Ranch series to a climactic close with this high-stakes race against the clock.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the book wasn't for you.. doesn't sound like something I would like either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an issue with many series, it's hard to like every book. I'm glad you liked this one overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changing POVs like that is confusing...and not my favorite thing in a book. I'm sorry this one wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was also not the favourite of the series for me, but still enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarita, yes. I just think there is more that could have been done with it, but it was still good.

      Delete
  5. I had a lot of the same issues with this book too. I still enjoyed it, but it just wasn't as good as the previous two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, glad it wasn't only me. I had a few more issues but I didn't want to beat the book down.

      Delete