Thursday, February 16, 2023

My Phony Valentine

Title: My Phony Valentine

Author: Courtney Walsh    

Genre: Romcom, Contemporary Romance, Sports Romance

Source: Kindle Unlimited

My review:

I have not read enough books by Courtney Walsh! I decided on Valentine's Day I needed a lighter read and set aside what I was reading, downloaded My Phony Valentine, and have been stealing moments to read it ever since. 

People don't really speak like this in real life, do they? As if their rear ends were planted squarely at the top of their neck and talking out of the hole that's there?

This book has so much to love: 

Poppy Hart who lives in Loveland where Valentine's Day is a big deal every year...yes, please!
The cover (which could not be more perfect for this book).
Meet cute.
Famous Hockey Player.
Struggling Chef.
Fake Dating.
Gram.
Strong family ties.
Humor.
Friendship.
Witty dialogue.

She places a hand over where a normal person's heart would be, as if there wasn't a gaping black soul-sucking cavity there.

And, while it looks like it would be all cute and light (it is!), it also has an unexpected depth. It has moments that caused me to tear up and get goosebumps. All the feels for this sweet book.

I downloaded this book on Kindle Unlimited, but it is one for the keeper shelf. I loved it. If someone wants to send me the paperback edition, I would happily accept it. 😂 Seriously, go read this book. It will bring you joy no matter what season you read it in.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

A chance meeting. A hunky hockey player. A fake romance.
Hardly an ordinary day in the life of Poppy Hart.

My days usually consist of agonizing over my failing restaurant, worrying about my mountain of debt and nursing my broken heart.

Everything changes when I bump into a man in the coffee shop and claim him as my new boyfriend. To my absolute horror, he turns out to be hockey’s most renowned bad boy, Dallas Burke. To my absolute delight, he goes along with my story.

When his no-nonsense manager and meddling grandmother jump in the picture, they see a win-win solution for my failing restaurant and Dallas’s less-than-stellar reputation.

A full-fledged fake romance complete with contract negotiations, pretend dates and phony PDA.

But as I get to know the real Dallas Burke, who is not the man the press says he is, it becomes clear that if this isn’t real. . . someone better tell it to my heart.

14 comments:

  1. A hunky hockey player, fake dating and a happy ending? I'm in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it has more depth, and is not just light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I am always tempted by a lot of them contemp romances because they sound like cute, fun reads. But then I look at my TBR glaring back at me...

      Delete
    2. Sarah, I understand that too! However, sometimes we just need a lighter read :)

      Delete
  4. I read Courtney Walsh's Cross Country Christmas last month and loved it! Her humor was great, but like you said, there was also some depth. This looks like one I want to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like so much fun! I downloaded it on Kindle Unlimited the day it was released, but haven't had the opportunity to read it yet. Hopefully soon though. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I am sure you will enjoy it when you get to it :)

      Delete
  6. Really (really) want to read this book at some point!

    ReplyDelete