Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Diary of a Jackwagon

 Title: Diary of a Jackwagon

Author: Tim Hawkins

Narrator: Tim Hawkins

Genre: Humor, Christian Nonfiction, Biography, Audiobook

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Source: Hoopla

My review:

I enjoy watching Tim Hawkins' comedy bits. I figured listening to Diary of a Jackwagon on a road trip would be fun and humorous. I wasn't disappointed.

My son and I listened to this in one sitting (all 6 hours). We enjoyed hearing new content that is not in Hawkins's comedy bits. We enjoyed hearing him sing some of his songs in the book. It was hilarious listening to my 17-year-old sing along with Hawkins' colonoscopy song 😂!

It is hard to review a book like this. We enjoyed it because we like Tim Hawkins. He has his own brand of sarcasm that will be offensive to some. He makes fun of himself, he makes fun of some of the ways people pray, and he even makes fun of "Christianese." However, it is all in good fun, with a hint of truth, which is why some will be offended. We felt at times that Hawkins was reaching or pushing to be funny. It felt pushed instead of his natural comedy.

If you like comedy and are familiar with Tim Hawkins, I highly recommend listening to this book. I am not sure how it would be to read this book, instead of listening to it. I think it would be harder to get some of the humor.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Popular Christian comedian Tim Hawkins shares his hilarious perspective on life in the 21st century.

In this wide-ranging, long-awaited book, comedian Tim Hawkins holds forth on everything from family, culture, and music to church, parenting, and education. Listeners will enjoy laughing their way through the audiobook, always feeling good about the clean and sometimes inspiring material they are laughing at.

Chapters include riffs on marital communication (“marriage needs a challenge flag, like in pro football”) aging (“the diabolical orifice witch hunt”), worship music (“pick the right key, because I’m not Barry White and I’m not a Bee Gee”), and fatherhood (“There are no manuals for parenting. Color-coded warning labels or open-ended prescriptions would be just as helpful.”)

For fans of Jim Gaffigan’s Dad Is Fat and Food: A Love Story, Tim Hawkins’ hilarious first book reveals that for life’s many difficulties, laughter is the best medicine—when there aren’t any pills left.

4 comments:

  1. Tim Hawkins is hilarious! I didn't know he had a book out. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, pretty sure he has several out now!! It was funny.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Tim Hawkins. I'll have to check him out.

    ReplyDelete