Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Something Good

Title: Something Good

Author: Vanessa Miller

Genre:Contemporary Fiction, Christian Fiction,

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Source: Library

My review:

I was in the library and saw Something Good by Vanessa Miller and immediately grabbed it. I had not read anything by her, but the cover grabbed me.

It took me a little bit to get into Something Good. I found the story line compelling, and while we don't want to feel sorry for Alexis, I think we find her relatable, especially with being distracted while driving. Unfortunately, she has to live with the consequences of that decision. 

I could not stand Marquita, especially at first, and I don't think we are supposed to. She is rude and feels entitled. However, once you learn a bit more about her, you can understand where she is coming from, even if you don't agree with it. 

I also had a hard time relating to Trish. All three of these women are flawed and real. The author writes their story well, and the theme of forgiveness is strong. 

A few things that didn't sit well with me. One was Trish being willing to forgive others quickly, but not her husband. The same could be said for Alexis as well. Another thing, the book is very stereotypical, and I found it harder to like because of that. A few threads toward the end that bother me, but I will not mention them because I don't want to give spoilers.

Overall, I enjoyed and I am glad I read it.

★★★/5

 Synopsis (Goodreads): 

When three women find their lives inextricably linked after a terrible mistake, they must work together to make the most of their futures.

Alexis Marshall never meant to cause the accident that left Jon-Jon Robinson paralyzed—but though guilt plagues her, her husband hopes to put the past behind them. After all, he’s in the middle of selling a tech business—and if Alexis admits to texting while driving, the deal could collapse and cost them millions. Meanwhile, Alexis’s life is not as shiny and perfect as it may seem from the outside. She has secrets of her own. As she becomes consumed with thoughts of the young man she hit, can she reconcile her mistake with her husband’s expectations?

Trish Robinson is just trying to hold it together after the accident that left Jon-Jon dependent and depressed. As the bills pile up, Trish and her husband, Dwayne, find themselves at odds. Trish wants to forgive and move on, but Dwayne is filled with rage toward the entitled woman who altered their lives forever. Trish can’t see how anything good can come from so much hate and strife, so she determines to pray until God intervenes. Then one afternoon Marquita Lewis rings their doorbell with a baby in her arms and changes everything.

8 comments:

  1. If my TBR list were shorter, I'd add this book to it, but as it is...I think I'm going to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this story would work for me either. Glad you tried a new author, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, Cindy. I am not big on unrelatable characters, but this sounds like a timely story.

    ReplyDelete