Sunday, April 16, 2023

Dancing with Fireflies

Title: Dancing with Fireflies (audiobook)

Series: Chapel Springs #2

Author: Denise Hunter

Narrator: Kathryn Lynhurst

Genre: Christian Fiction, Contemporary Romance,

Publisher: Tantor Audio

Source: Hoopla

My review

Dancing with Fireflies is the second book of the Chapel Springs series. The series follows the McKinley siblings. I would recommend reading them in order to avoid spoilers.

Trigger/content warning: Rape and flashbacks. It is not super detailed, but you get the gist.

I was SO annoyed with Jade at the beginning of the story. Just because one thing, granted a major thing, has gone wrong in your life, doesn't excuse you to continue to be stupid and stubborn. I was so aggravated at her for keeping her secret, even though I understood her reasoning. However, choosing not to live in her parent's house, or with a sibling, having very little money, and refusing help or housing was just stupid. She was not so desperate that she couldn't get help. 

As the story went on, I did get over my anger at Jade. Although she was still stubborn 😂 And, this is the mark of a great story. I was SO invested. I wanted her to have a happily ever after, and I wanted it to be with Daniel. 

Dancing with Fireflies will take you through a gamut of emotions. It was hard to walk away from listening to it to get things done. It will take a while to recover from this one, but so worth it!!

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Jade returns home to Chapel Springs after years of protecting her fragile heart. Then along comes Daniel, making her long to dance again.

Creative and complicated, Jade McKinley felt like a weed in a rose garden growing up in Chapel Springs. When she left, she thought she'd never look back. But now, pregnant, alone, and broke, she has no other choice but to return.

The mayor of Chapel Springs, Daniel Dawson, has been an honorary member of the McKinley family for years. While his own home life was almost non-existent, Daniel fit right into the boisterous McKinley family. He's loved Jade for years, but she always saw him as a big brother. Now that she's back, his feelings are stronger than ever.

As Jade attempts to settle in, nothing feels right. God seems far away, she's hiding secrets from her family, and she's strangely attracted to the man who's always called her "squirt." Finding her way home may prove more difficult than she imagined.

4 comments:

  1. I also tend to get impatient or annoyed with some of the main characters in the books I read. I quite understand your reaction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harvee!! I do love the books that do get under my skin and make me feel things, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Stupid and stubborn characters can be so frustrating! I'm glad those traits in Jade didn't end up ruining this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it didn't. I have now started listening to the fourth book in the series :)

      Delete