Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday-To read or not to read?

Happy Tuesday, my bookish friends!! I hope you all are doing well. Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is things that instantly make you want to instantly stop reading a book. Since I missed last week, I decided to combine last week's topic (things that make you want to read a book) and this week's topic. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl and you can head over there to see what our other bookish friends are up to today. 

10 Things That Make Me Want to read a book:

  1. Favorite Authors
  2. Fake Dating
  3. Wedding Dress on Cover
  4. If it has humor
  5. Pretty cover
  6. Amusing title

10 Things That Make Me Instantly Stop Reading

  1. Cursing
  2. Too much blood/gore
  3. Detailed bedroom scenes/sex
  4. Boring and can't get into it
  5. Too many details
  6. Spiritualism movement
  7. Witches
  8. Too much slang and dialect
I am sure there are other things for both lists, LOL, but that is all I can come up with at the moment.

What did you do this week? I would love for you to share in the comments. To see what other topics our bookish friends are doing this week click on the image below. 


20 comments:

  1. I don’t like reading about blood or gore either. I can handle occasional sex scenes, especially if they’re important to the plot for some reason, but honestly I’d rather just skip over them most of the time. :)

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, no, blood and gore tend to give me nightmares. I could handle it when I was younger, but can't anymore. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Love that you combined both lists this week. I agree with you on all your things that make you want to read a book; and several on your second list also makes me not want to keep reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Deanna, yes, every time. I try not to say I quit a book because it was boring because I don't want to be offensive, but sometimes it's hard to find something else to say!

      Delete
  4. Covers always get me. Slang and dialect too, especially if it clearly DOESN'T fit the time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate both of your lists, and agree with all of your points. What is the spiritualism movement though? I've never heard of that...or maybe I have but just didn't know it was called that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I am not sure I can even begin to describe it, going through medium's to talk to the dead is what I am specifically referring to.

      Delete
  6. I'm the complete opposite with regards to witches. I want to read more books with witches in them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spy several things on your list I do and don't like in books. Favorite authors is always a must and kind of like that "comfort read" we best love, and the cursing in excess? That one is NEVER for me. Thanks a bunch for visiting my website today. I appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, Yes, favorite authors are like a comfort read, and I am finding I need more of them.

      Delete
  8. I agree with you on a lot of these. Fake dating, though, is actually one of my least favorite tropes. Different strokes for different folks!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it is not always a favorite of mine, but I have read some super cute ones!

      Delete
  9. Yes to favorite authors and no to gore. Pretty book covers always catch my eye! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like cursing nor profanities myself. Happy reading! https://readwithstefani.com/did-i-read-the-books-on-my-30-books-to-read-before-i-turn-30-list/

    ReplyDelete