Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Land of Silence

Title: Land of Silence

Author: Tessa Afshar

Publisher: Tyndale House Publishing

Genre: Biblical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction

Source: Own

Challenge: Twenty-Three in 2023

My Review:

Tessa Afshar has a way of writing that captivates you from the beginning. In Land of Silence, Afshar has taken a passage from Scripture and built a beautiful story around it while staying faithful to Scripture.

I knew this was going to be about the lady who bled for 12 years. I was not expecting how long it would take to get there. It was interesting to see what her backstory could have been, but it did remind me a lot of Job. Yet, just like Job, this is a story of redemption and healing.

Land of Silence is beautifully written, captivating, relevant, faith-filled, heartbreaking, and hope-filled. It will take you on an emotional roller coaster and leave you satisfied. There is so much depth in this story. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy richly detailed historical fiction.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Before Christ called her daughter . . .

Before she stole healing by touching the hem of his garment . . .

Elianna is a young girl crushed by guilt. After her only brother is killed while in her care, Elianna tries to earn forgiveness by working for her father’s textile trade and caring for her family. When another tragedy places Elianna in sole charge of the business, her talent for design brings enormous success, but never the absolution she longs for. As her world unravels, she breaks off her betrothal to the only man she will ever love. Then illness strikes, isolating Elianna from everyone, stripping everything she has left.

No physician can cure her. No end is in sight. Until she hears whispers of a man whose mere touch can heal. After so many years of suffering and disappointment, is it possible that one man could redeem the wounds of body . . . and soul?

10 comments:

  1. I am amazed at the effort that goes into stories surrounding Christ and his miracles. An interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, I am as well. This one was well done. I have read several of hers hers that I enjoyed.

      Delete
  2. My mom and dad both read this one and couldn't say enough good things about it. Seeing your review reminds me that I need to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, that is really cool! My mom doesn't have similar reading tastes, and my dad doesn't read at all. I hope you do enjoy it when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  3. I have been meaning to read a book by Tessa Afshar. Biblical fiction is tricky for me, I usually prefer stories that take place during Biblical times, but aren't expanding on actually Bible stories mostly because I don't want to confuse fact and fiction. But, I like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I agree with Biblical Fiction being tricky. Years ago I read one and didn't agree with how far from Scripture it was, but I have found some authors I enjoy as well.

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed Tessa Afshar's books for years! I enjoy Biblical fiction as it gives me a cultural sense of the Word. Thank you for posting such great reads! I've referred my daughter to your website as well! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mia!! I appreciate the kind words and the referral :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on finishing a Big Book, Cindy! This sounds fascinating - glad you enjoyed it.

    Sue
    2023 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete