Thursday, July 6, 2023

Sories That Bind Us

Title: Stories That Bind Us

Author: Susie Finkbeiner

Publisher: Revell

Genre: Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction,

Source: Own

My Review:

I love the title, Stories That Bind Us, and there could not be a more appropriate title for this novel. Susie Finkbeiner tackles many challenging topics in this story. They include infertility, mental health, racism, broken families and more.

My review comes with a slight warning. I am in a situation with a family member struggling with mental illness and trying to get the right combination of medications, so this story hits a little harder than it would otherwise. So, for me, it was a bit of a heavier read.

Now, I did enjoy this story. It is well-written, realistic, and does not shy away from hard topics. Yet, they are handled with grace and care, while still being realistic. I liked Betty and her sunny disposition despite all the hard things she was dealing with. She struggled but there was a thread of hope woven in her story. Throughout the whole story I was worried a particular scenario would happen and I was so thankful when it didn't!!

My heart broke for Hugo, and I loved that he had Betty fighting in his corner. I appreciated Marvel and her boys for including Hugo and Betty in their plans. These things helped Hugo come out of his shell and experience growth.  It's a reminder to all of us to be a light and encouragement to those going through a difficult time. It's also a reminder not to give up on those who struggle with mental illness.

I highly recommend this story to anyone who enjoys historical fiction (set in the 60s), with depth and a story that will linger long after the last page.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Betty Sweet is still recovering from the loss of her husband when she becomes the temporary guardian of a five-year-old nephew she never knew she had. As they struggle to move forward, they build a relationship upon the foundation of storytelling and its special kind of magic.

3 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one! And we need books that tackle hard topics in sensitive yet true ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, yes, we absolutely do need stories like these!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great book! I just ordered it via Kindle Unlimited! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete