Monday, July 17, 2023

The Best Summer of Our Lives

Title: The Best Summer of Our Lives

Author: Rachel Hauck

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Contemporary Fiction

Source: Library

My Review:

I have loved every book I have read by Rachel Hauck. I was excited to read The Best Summer of Our Lives but found it difficult to get into.

This book was completely different from what I was expecting. It is also different from any other book I have read by Rachel Hauck. It is a dual-timeline predominately set in 1977, with the current time frame in 1997. The story follows four best friends-the four seasons-Summer, Snow, Autumn, and Spring. Each chapter jumps to a different perspective, sometimes in '77, other times in '97. This made the story difficult to follow. It also took me out of the story many times.

A coming of age story that can be summed up with lies, secrets, stupid decisions, and an explosive revelation. However, the faith element was expertly woven. I liked the ending, but it did feel rushed.

Trigger warnings: death of a loved one, thoughts of suicide, talks on abortion, underage drinking, sex before marriage, abduction, murder of three girls.

★★★⋆/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Twenty years ago, the summer of '77 was supposed to be the best summer of Summer Wilde's life. She and her best friends, Spring, Autumn, and Snow--the Four Seasons--had big plans.

But those plans never had a chance. After a teenage prank gone awry, the Seasons found themselves on a bus to Tumbleweed, "Nowhere," Oklahoma, to spend eight weeks as camp counselors. All four of them arrived with hidden secrets and buried fears, and the events that unfolded in those two months forever altered their friendships, their lives, and their futures.

Now, thirtysomething, Summer is at a crossroads. When her latest girl band leaves her in a motel outside Tulsa, she is forced to face the shadows of her past. Returning to the place where everything changed, she soon learns Tumbleweed is more than a town she never wanted to see again. It's a place for healing, for reconciling the past with the present, and for finally listening to love's voice.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like some heavy topics there that make me wonder if it was the best summer of their lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, yes, some heavier topics for sure.

      Delete
  2. All those chapter jumps in time and perspective can really slow a narrative, because every jump pulls you out of the story you were in, and then you have to readjust to the new POV, which can take a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the synopsis of this one I thought it sounded quite different than her other books. Glad to hear your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, yes, more of a coming of age than a romance.

      Delete
  4. I was super curious about this one too, but after reading your review, it may be one I skip. For now. It sounds really different than what I'd expect too, but I do love what I've read by Rachel. So many good stories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I understand, it was heavier than I was expecting. I have LOVED everything else I have read by her.

      Delete