Friday, September 8, 2023

First Line Friday #103-The Fall Back Plan

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! I hope you all have a great day and weekend! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I am reading The Fall Back Plan by Melanie Jacobson. 

Sometimes, a sign from heaven falls and hits you right on the head. 

Book Beginnings: 

Lucas

Sometimes, a sign from heaven falls and hits you right on the head.Other times, a sign falls off the roof of the new bar on Maple and almost hits me right on the head, except my finely honed instincts from coaching my niece's softball team kick in, and I jump out of the way just in time.

I stare at the sign on the sidewalk in front of me, then up at the two workmen who are supposed to be installing it, both gaping at me with wide eyes, "Whoa, sorry, man!" one of them calls.

The crash brings the owner of the bookstore next door running out, and she looks from it to me, then up at the workmen.

"You good, Sheriff?" she asks.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

The bad boy and the golden girl have traded places…

I’m back in Harvest Hollow after ten years to prove a point and to even a few scores. I’ve opened a new bar, and anyone expecting the old sweet and shy Jolie McGraw to be running it is in for a shock.

I’m not the only one who’s changed: when the sheriff comes to tell me I’m the prime suspect in the most ridiculous crime in town history, it’s none other than Lucas Cole, the former star of my teenage stress dreams, wearing the badge.

Seriously? The smack-talking punk I was forced to tutor in math is now one of the town’s most upstanding citizens? This isn’t what I had in mind for turning the tables on my former tormentors.

I blow him off…until I meet the niece he’s raising. I see so much of my younger self in her. But when I agree to help when she needs a woman in her life, Lucas uses it as a chance to build a case that he’s the man I need in mine.

That’s a hard no. No to love. No to Lucas.

But when Harvest Hollow’s nosiest forces combine to push us together, I’m not sure my heart stands a chance.

The Fall Back Plan is a small town, closed door enemies-to-lovers single dad romcom.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

16 comments:

  1. Another fun one to put on my list. I love small town, single dad romances. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it is SO good! I am at 93% and dying to get back to it, LOL!

      Delete
  2. What a great beginning! This whole series sounds fantastic! I'm looking forward to reading them all. Hope you have a great weekend, Cindy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I am excited for the whole series and hope/plan to read them each week as they come out :)

      Delete
  3. I like that opening line. It is very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I am loving it! Great fall vibes and a sweet, fun story.

      Delete
  4. I love small town stories and that cover makes me very curious. Nice tease. Have a good weekend.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun one. I have to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, if you have Kindle Unlimited it is free :) I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. This series is on my TBR! It looks so good! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to just break down and buy this series. I want to read it so badly, but I haven't bought any books in a while. I usually borrow from the library. I did ask them to purchase the first one in this series, but it might be a while before they have it. I want to read it now. Lol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meezan, I completely understand! This is a series I would love to own in paperbacks, maybe someday!

      Delete