Sunday, September 17, 2023

The Cake List

Title: The Cake List

Series: The List Books #1

Author: Dianne J. Wilson

Publisher: Independently published

Genre: Christian Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Humor

Source: Kindle own

My Review:

The Cake List is the first book I have read by Dianne J. Wilson, but it will not be the last.

Meg aimed her feet into the satin shoes and realized two things: you can get a muffin top on your feet, and breaking off an engagement makes your feet fat.

The first line immediately drew me in and made me laugh. Not that a broken engagement is funny, but the sentiment behind it is. Meg realized that somewhere along the way, she had lost herself. The Cake List is a story of self-discovery for Meg. Her character growth is exceptionally well-written.

I liked Dom, but I did not like that he kept so many secrets. I don't like the miscommunication trope, and this is full of it. It got old after a while, but I wanted to see how the story unfolded. Overall, an enjoyable read. 

★★★★/5 

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Do Something Brave. Do Something Selfless. Do Something Kind. Break a Never. Stop an Always. Figure out God.

“Some people write a bucket list, you know… things they want to do and tick off before they die. Honestly? Dying doesn’t seem half as scary as the big-O birthday that’s hunting me down. So I’ve made my own list. Things I want to do and tick off before I eat that birthday cake. So far, it’s not going too well.”

~*~

Fresh from a spectacular break-up and faced with a looming big-O birthday, Meg throws her cautious nature aside and signs up for dance classes. Little does she know that Ballroom will stretch more than just her muscles. Between the charming dance instructor and his secrets, her grumpy neighbour and a fish that can’t swim straight, Meg’s list seems doomed from the start.

~*~

Heart-felt and funny, Meg’s list-crossing quest takes her so far out of her comfort zone, she may never find her way back.

2 comments: