Wednesday, December 13, 2023

All's Fair in Love and Christmas

Title: All's Fair in Love and Christmas

Author: Sarah Monzon

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Christmas, Romcom, Contemporary Romance

Source: Bethany House

My Review:

I love the cover of All's Fair in Love and Christmas. It represents the story well. This is a stand-alone story by Sarah Monzon, but I would love to see it turn into a series with some of the side characters. 

I adored this book. Mackenzie struggles with severe social anxiety. Her best friend Keri helps her in many situations, but when it comes to Mackenzie's crush, she is helpless. It doesn't help that Mackenzie's boss makes Jeremy her rival in the competition for a promotion.

Jeremy is solo parenting his niece and nephew. He has a plan, and nothing is going to derail him. He needs the promotion to secure the future of his family. He did not factor Mackenzie into those plans. After all, they have worked together for several years. Why should anything change now?

I relate to Mackenzie's social anxiety. Other reviewers said it did not feel authentic, including some of the later scenes in the story, but I disagree. Mackenzie had a lot to learn about social anxiety and realizing that sometimes we need professional help. The tools designed for those with any kind of mental health issues do work if you use them.  

Jeremy is a kind and caring male lead. While he might not understand what initially makes Mackenzie awkward, noticing her care of others in non-threatening situations helps him to understand her better.

This is not just a light and fluffy read. Mackenzie's mom has Alzheimer's and that is part of the storyline. There is plenty of humor to keep this a mostly light read, but it does have depth and great character growth. 

Thank you to Bethany House for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Every December two things are guaranteed for graphic designer Mackenzie Graham--Christmas celebrations and the annual promotion at her workplace. Those two things are by no means mutually exclusive. In fact, the better an employee is at harnessing the Christmas spirit, the more likely they'll win the new job. With her social anxiety, Mackenzie never thought she'd be a contender in her company's holiday competition, so how exactly has she found herself dueling her workplace crush with wrapping paper tubes and using tinsel as her weapon of choice for a much-needed raise?

Jeremy Fletcher's life is meticulously planned out, including how to win this year's promotion at work. Not only will the new position fulfill some of his career goals, but the raise will help him as a single guardian to his twin niece and nephew. Jeremy has barely noticed Mackenzie Graham around the office, but now that she's his rival, he can't stop thinking about her. Her quirkiness intrigues him, and he's afraid that if he can't get his head on straight, the job isn't the only thing he'll end up losing to Mackenzie.

'Tis the season for romance, faith, and humor--all wrapped up in this enchanting holiday rom-com from award-winning author Sarah Monzon.

8 comments:

  1. Great review, Cindy! I loved this one so much. It's one my favorites this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this one was cute, though I really wanted more interactions with Jeremy and his niece and nephew! Their spirited Christmas competition at work was pretty funny. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, yes, that would have been awesome! I think there could have easily been SO much more!!

      Delete
  3. This does sound good. I did a YouTube video called Yoga for Social Anxiety before I attended the family holiday gathering, today -- so I can relate! Fortunately, I think it helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, yes, social anxiety is HARD. Sorry you need a yoga video to go to your family gathering, but glad it helped!

      Delete
  4. This one DOES look cute. I haven't really read a lot about it because sometimes I like to go into a novel "blind," but I know MANY readers rave (good things) about Sarah's novels so I did pick this one up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I love the humor in her books. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete