Friday, January 26, 2024

First Line Friday #114-Chicken About Love

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! I hadn't realized it had been so long since I did a First Line Friday post (Dec. 8!). I hope you all have a great day and weekend! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I am reading Chicken About Love by Kaci Lane. It is book two in the Bama Boys Sweet RomCom series.

I'm unemployed, recently divorced, and living with my parents.

Book Beginnings:

Hannah

I'm unemployed, recently divorced, and living with my parents. I have nowhere to go but up. At least that's the motto I've adopted lately to help me put on a brave face for my daughter. 

My stomach buckles as I unplug my flat iron and run another layer of lip glass across my bottom lip, then smack my mouth. I need to stop. Any more dusty-rose tint on my lips and I may as well apply for a job as a rodeo clown.

Synopsis (Goodreads):  

A year ago I was married and living in a wealthy neighborhood in the biggest city in Alabama. That was before my husband left me and I tucked tail and ran home to Mama. Now I’m literally banking my five-year-old daughter’s future on my getting hired as a teller at the local credit union.

I may not have a college education—at least not completely—but beauty pageants, sorority functions, and Junior League events have taught me how to interview like a pro. Too bad I’m stuck driving my daddy’s old Ford with no air-conditioning in the Alabama summer, which is hotter than a jalapeño's armpit.

But that’s the least of my worries after I play chicken with a chicken truck and wreck Big Red.

Between the truck driver’s colorful cussing and the sheriff’s flirtatious questioning, I’m ready to fly the coop any way I can. That’s when Tanner Nash, the biggest prankster in high school, comes out of nowhere and rescues me. He saves me and my interview, winning the role of my new bestie back in Apple Cart.

We have more in common than I ever imagined—especially when it comes to wanting to ward off all the matchmakers in Apple Cart County. A little fake romance seems like the perfect solution to both get what we want.

That is . . . until what I want is him!

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

10 comments:

  1. haha, sounds like it's going to be a fun romance!
    hallie @ hallie reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like this author does RomCom well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun book. Enjoy and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in agreement with the other commenters. This one does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun read! Thanks for sharing your post on Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this will be a fun romance! I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Holiday Stand-In by Kortney Keisel. It's really cute so far!
    "I've never been in this position where doing the right thing feels wrong."
    I hope you have a great weekend full of fun reading. 🙂📚

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like fun. I'll have to check it out. I've been interested in rom coms lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That opening is so great! This one sounds like a lot of fun, and one that I would enjoy, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like so much fun! I think I need to add this to my list! Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great week! :D

    ReplyDelete