Wednesday, January 17, 2024

The Unlikely Yarn of the Dragon Lady

Title: The Unlikely Yarn of the Dragon Lady

Series: Purls and Prayers #1

Author: Sharon J. Mondragón

Publisher: Kregel

Genre: Christian Fiction, Women's Fiction, Contemporary Fiction

Source: Library

My Review:

The Unlikely Yarn of the Dragon Lady is Sharon J. Mondragón's debut novel. It reads like she is a seasoned novelist.

Wow. I have just finished this book, and I am emotional! I feel like I need a good cry, but in the best way (sort of, LOL). I am staggered by Margaret's personal growth. She got on my nerves for part of the story, but when you realize why, oh my heart. 

I adored the ladies of the Heavenly Hugs Prayer Shawl Ministry. They were all so different but that is what made the group stronger. They knit in their church's prayer chapel until their pastor charged them to go out in the community to knit their prayer shawls while the chapel was being painted. Of course the group resisted, Margaret the loudest and most intense in her protests. None of them had any idea how their world would implode with this one decision.

This is such a heart-warming, at times heart-breaking story. This story is about friendship, faith, being obedient, and the power of prayer. I want a group like this! I want to feel the power of prayer like the ladies and the ones they prayed for did. Well done, Ms. Mondragón! I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds wonderful. I always love when authors surprise us with their debuts. They have a lot of live up to with their next books and it's exciting when they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, I totally agree!! I am hoping that is the case with this one!

      Delete
  2. Cindy, this sounds like such a good read. And yes, sometimes a special book will touch a tender place that needs the release that only tears can bring. May stories of personal growth spur us on to live fully for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually enjoy books like these (as long as they're not too cheesy/preachy) and an uplifting read sounds good right now. I hadn't heard of this one before, so thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing! And one that my mom would really like, too. (I'm always trying to find good and uplifting books to give to her to read.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this one around and have been curious about it, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I'll be adding it to my wishlist. :D

    ReplyDelete