Monday, January 29, 2024

Where Are the Children?

Title: Where Are the Children?

Series: Where Are the Children #1

Author: Mary Higgins Clark

Publisher: Pocket Books

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Fiction

Source: Own

My Review:

I read Where Are the Children by Mary Higgins Clark many years ago. When Where Are The Children Now? came out, I knew I wanted to reread this book.

I remember thinking this book was really good when I first read it. And, while it is well-written, my definition of good has changed over the years. First, I forgot there was cussing in the book. So, it is not a clean read. Second, there is a pedophile in this book, and that is not something I like or want to read about. Especially since we do get his perspective at times in the book. Third, this is a book with harm to children, again, not something I read easily or at all these days.

Having read many mysteries throughout the years, I am not as enthralled with this book as I once was. I devoured Clark's books in my teen years, but now I find the book flat and dated. I would imagine that as her writing has evolved, it has only gotten better, which is why I will still read Where Are the Children Now? I am curious as to why a sequel was written 30+ years later. 

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Nancy Harmon long ago fled the heartbreak of her first marriage, the macabre deaths of her two little children, and the shocking charges against her. She changed her name, dyed her hair, and left California for the windswept peace of Cape Cod. Now remarried, she has two more beloved children, and the terrible pain has begun to heal -- until the morning when she looks in the backyard for her little boy and girl and finds only one red mitten. She knows that the nightmare is beginning again....

4 comments:

  1. I read this one when it first came out, too, but it was never my favorite of Clark's books...mostly because of the whole children in danger/pedophile thing. I can imagine it does feel pretty dated now, and I don't understand why they decided to write a sequel. It certainly doesn't interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I understand that. Honestly, if I had remembered more of the details I never would have reread it.

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite books by Mary Higgins Clark. Although, I really love her older books. The newer ones aren't as good to me. I had no idea she wrote a sequel since I stopped reading any of her new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, I haven't read any of her newer books either. I don't have much interest in them.

      Delete