Sunday, June 9, 2024

Complex

Title: Complex Audio review

Series: The Sweet Rom "Com" #2

Author: Kortney Keisel

Narrators: Amanda Friday and Andy Harrington

Publisher: Independently Published

Genre: RomCom, Contemporary Fiction, Romance,

Source: Hoopla

My Review:

I immediately started Complex after finishing the first book in the series, Compared. The trilogy follows three sisters. The first book was Meg's story, this one is Tessa's, and the final book is Brooke's.

Tessa is difficult to like. She seems like the spoiled brat that Luke portrays her to be. Even knowing her struggles, I had a hard time liking her. From the moment she agreed to work with her boss to delay the project, I could not relate to her. In my eyes, she was setting herself up for taking the fall for her boss, and her boss was not going to rescue her if she got in trouble.  

Luke is mostly grumpy and very focused on his deadline. He is rough around the edges, but you get glimpses of his caring side when you see all the things he is doing for the locals. 

Overall, I did not enjoy this one near as much as I did the first book. I got tired of reading about how often, and how long Tessa and Luke kissed. That seemed to be the main plot of the later half of the book. I don't think there was as much humor in this story, or I was completely missing it. I have no desire to read the third book. 

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Tiny Little Lie #1: I want the new resort in Turks and Caicos to open on schedule.

Tiny Little Lie #2:I'm not falling for Luke McKenna.

Unfortunately, those tiny little lies snowballed into something bigger. Much bigger. Now I'm stuck.

It sounds bad. But I'm not a bad person. I'm doing the right thing...I think. I'm telling myself I'm a superhero in heels, saving people I care about.

But the grumpy onsite contractor isn't making things easy. The more I lie and try to stall the hotel opening, the harder he works to complete the project.

Did I mention he's handsome?

And moody?

And brooding?

And my complete opposite in every way?

If the truth about what I've done comes out, Luke will never forgive me. Then I'll have to face another truth: my attraction to him might actually be something more—something worth fighting for.

2 comments:

  1. The premise of this one doesn't appeal to me like the premise of Compared did. And it sounds like it wasn't as cute either.

    ReplyDelete