Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Saving My Assassin

Title: Saving My Assassin

Author: Virginia Prodan

Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers

Genre: Memoir, Biography, Christian Nonfiction

Source: Library

My Review:

I did not want to read Saving My Assassin. I only read it  because it was a book club pick, so I felt like I had to.

I did not want to read it because I figured it would be a hard read. I was not wrong. The beginning was especially hard as Virginia recounts the years of abuse she endured by her family.

However, the story was well-written, captivating, and worth the time to read it. Although it is a true story, it sometimes reads like a suspense novel. It was hard to put down, and I wanted to know what would happen next.

The story ends in 1988, with an epilogue in 2010. I wish the author had shared more about what happened during those years. I am sure she has her reasons, but it left me with questions.

I recommend this memoir, especially if the synopsis interests you. 

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

"I should be dead. Buried in an unmarked grave in Romania. Obviously, I am not. God had other plans."

At just under five feet tall, Virginia Prodan was no match for the towering 6' 10" gun-wielding assassin the Romanian government sent to her office to take her life. It was not the first time her life had been threatened--nor would it be the last.

As a young attorney under Nicolae Ceausescu's brutal communist regime, Virginia had spent her entire life searching for the truth. When she finally found it in the pages of the most forbidden book in all of Romania, Virginia accepted the divine call to defend fellow followers of Christ against unjust persecution in an otherwise ungodly land.

For this act of treason, she was kidnapped, beaten, tortured, placed under house arrest, and came within seconds of being executed under the orders of Ceausescu himself. How Virginia not only managed to elude her enemies time and again, but how she also helped expose the appalling secret that would ultimately lead to the demise of Ceausescu's evil empire is one of the most extraordinary stories ever told.

A must-read for all generations, Saving My Assassin is the unforgettable account of one woman's search for truth, her defiance in the face of evil, and a surprise encounter that proves without a shadow of a doubt that nothing is impossible with God.

4 comments:

  1. This is not your usual read. But it does sound good. I remember when Ceausescu's regime ended in Romania...and then all those stories came out of what the people had gone through under him. So horrifying and sad. It's interesting that she skips all those years between 1988 and 2010. Seems like an odd choice to make when writing a memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I thought so too, especially since two major life events happened during that time that are completely glossed over.

      Delete
  2. This definitely isn't the kind of book I'd expect you to read, especially given the subject matter. I don't think I'd gravitate toward this one on my own accord either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan, no, but it should make for a good book discussion :)

      Delete