Friday, September 27, 2024

Sanctuary Buried

Title: Sanctuary Buried

Series: WITSEC Town #2

Author: Lisa Phillips

Publisher: Lisa Phillips

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense, Contemporary Romance

Source: Library

My Review:

Sanctuary Buried is the second book in the series and I highly recommend reading the books in order. The first book sets up the WITSEC town, and Sanctuary Buried builds on book one (Sanctuary Lost).

I love the unique plotline of the story. It is a WITSEC town that you can only get to by helicopter. No one can easily get in or out. No one (other than a few select people outside of Sanctuary) even knows the town exists.

I liked Frannie, I felt like she was a strong character from a highly dysfunctional family. Her mother and sister were over the top. I also liked Matthias. My only complaint about their relationship is that it happened quite suddenly, which didn't make much sense.

There were a few inconsistencies/parts of the story that did not make sense. At times, it felt like you were jumping into the middle of a thought. At times I didn't understand the point of certain things. Or how certain people got away with certain things with no repercussions. 

I did figure out one of the bad guys but didn't figure out the whole situation. Despite my complaints listed above, I enjoyed the story. It had enough to keep me invested.

I can't wait to continue the series (but I am going to have to because my library holds have not come in!).

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Eight years ago Francesca Canetti testified against her father.
Now this mobster's daughter is Frannie Peters, running a bakery in the witness protection town of Sanctuary. Her former-starlet mom and her younger sister mooch off all her hard work, her best employee has terminal cancer, the town’s mafia crew insists she’s one of them, and her love life is so non-existent it isn’t even funny.

Dare she try and unearth a better life?

Matthias Hernandez is a ranch hand with his own bundle of secrets. His feelings for Frannie have lain undiscovered for a long time until he realizes his family won’t fix itself. It’s time to dig up the future he’s always dreamed of. When Frannie stumbles on a killer at work, the culprit turns his attention to her — and with the attention comes deadly consequences.
Can they figure out the identity of the “dark angel” before it’s too late for all of them?

2 comments:

  1. That Witsec town is a fun idea for a setting. It's a little similar to Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series, though without any language, and probably not nearly as dark as her books are. I'll have to see if my library has the first one just to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, yeah, no language, and probably not as dark, although, everyone in WITSEC is there for a reason, so there is some darkness, LOL!

      Delete