Wednesday, October 2, 2024

At Love's Command

Title: At Love's Command

Series: Hanger's Horsemen #1

Author: Karen Witemeyer

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Westerns, Historical Fiction, Romance

Source: Hoopla

My Review:

I put off At Love's Command for several years, even though I enjoy Karen Witemeyer's writing because it is a Western. If you follow me at all, you know that is not something I read much of.

However, At Love's Command, is more than a Western. It had to be to draw me in, LOL! The Hanger's Horsemen (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Jonah) are haunted by their time in the army. They have retired from that way of life and have vowed to do their best not to kill anymore. They are on a crusade to defend and seek justice for the poor and oppressed. 

When one of Matthew's men is shot in battle, he takes him to see the doctor in Purgatory, Texas. What he expects is Dr. Joe, but he gets Dr. Josephine Burkett. After his initial shock, he treats her with nothing but respect, and even takes orders from her, which he is not used to, seeing as he is a captain!

I loved the setting of the story, Purgatory, it was funny to me. I loved the bond between the Hanger's Horsemen. I loved that in 1893 a female doctor was making her way in a male-dominated field. I loved that our characters communicated! I could go on and on, but I won't, LOL! There was so much to this story and I can't wait to read the rest of the Hanger's Horsemen's stories.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Haunted by the horrors of war, ex-cavalry officer Matthew Hanger leads a band of mercenaries known as Hanger's Horsemen who have become legends in 1890s Texas. They defend the innocent and obtain justice for the oppressed. But when a rustler's bullet leaves one of them at death's door, they're the ones in need of saving.

Dr. Josephine Burkett is used to men taking one look at her skirts and discounting her medical skills. What she's not used to is having a man change his mind in a heartbeat and offer to assist her in surgery. Matthew Hanger's dedication to his friend during recovery earns Josephine's respect, and when she hears of her brother's abduction, he becomes her only hope for rescue.

Matt has stared down ruthless outlaws, betrayal, and injury, but when a bossy lady doctor crawls under his skin, his heart is tempted to surrender. And when she is caught in the crossfire, he may have to sacrifice everything--even his team--to save her.

No comments:

Post a Comment