Monday, September 7, 2026

Birds on a Wire

Title: Birds on a Wire

Author: Katie Powner

Source: Library

My Review:

When I first started reading the story, I was like, "That wouldn't happen that way."

However, I stepped back and realized that foster care placements and requirements vary from state to state and even county to county. I was a foster parent for several years, and my story is different from Laura's story. So, in her state, the first placement of her child could have occurred as written.

Once I got that out of the way, I really enjoyed the story. It is the perfect blend of good writing with a realistic portrayal of the foster care system. I loved that we got the perspective/feelings from the biological parent and the foster mom. Now, don't get me wrong, this is not an easy read; there is nothing easy about foster care. But the story is engaging and so good. If you are looking for a heart-warming/heart-wrenching women's fiction story, look no further.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):  

A deeply moving contemporary story about family and foster care from a two-time Christy Award-winning author

When her newborn son, Providence, is taken by CPS, eighteen-year-old Bri Marshall is determined to do whatever's necessary to get him back—with or without Providence's father. But hurdles like no job, car, or family support complicate the process. Bri never expected to sink this low. What will it take to hold her baby in her arms again?

Thirty-nine-year-old Laura Gambler, facing the big 4-0, is managing new challenges with her own children when she's asked to take in baby Providence. She could never have imagined the chain of events that agreeing to foster would set in motion—or the carefully buried pain from her past it would drag back to the surface.

Both women wrestle with doubts about the future and their ability to parent Providence, even as their love for him grows stronger every day. As their lives become irrevocably intertwined, the two very different women face the same impossible question: Who is the best mother for Providence?

4 comments:

  1. There is nothing easy about foster care. But this sounds like a story I think I would really like, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, no there is not, but this is a fantastic story!

      Delete
  2. I have had so many students in foster care, it's devastating. Especially when as a teacher you can see objectively the best place for the child, even if the state disagrees. It's was so hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete