Sunday, September 12, 2021

Firefly Diaries

 Title: Firefly Diaries: A Christian Mystery

Author: C. C. Warrens

Publisher: C. C. Warrens

Expected Publication Date: October 6, 2021

Genre: Mystery, Christian Fiction

My Review:

I have read other books by C. C. Warrens and when I saw she had a new book coming out, I HAD to read it.

I LOVED her Holly Series and devoured them. While this one is not part of that series, it has many things in common with it. The first, I devoured it! Second, I could not put it down. Third, I loved it! 

If I was perfect, I wouldn't need Jesus, she thought with a smile.

I don't know what Noelle was thinking, purchasing a house from an auction, sight unseen.  She is dealing with an unbearable loss and struggles with depression and anxiety. It doesn't help that she discovers pertinent information about her new house after she has already taken up residence. With someone determined to force her from her new home, Noelle shows grit and determination as she struggles to figure out what exactly she has gotten herself into.

Abandonment and neglect dulled its white paint, and a lifetime of storms left it worn to the bone and leaning with exhaustion-a condition that resonated through her to her soul.

Derek is the local captain of the police force. He is submerged in paperwork and trying to support his sister, Trudy, with her diner. He is not surprised when he receives a call the night someone moves into the old Bechtel Estate (rumored to be haunted). While he exhibits no interest in a romantic relationship, he offers to help the new homeowner get the place cleaned up.

When you feel overwhelmed, focus your mind on one thing. One thing that you can control in that moment and put everything else aside. Her therapist's words of wisdom drifted through her mind, and she clutched at them, looking for something to focus on. 

This story is incredibly well-written and a page-turner. You are immediately drawn into the story with the initial scene and each page dives you deeper into a mystery that gets more complicated by the minute. Nothing is as it seems and you will be pondering who done it? and suspecting everyone. There are more layers to this story than an onion, and so many deep thoughts are interspersed. It will pull at your heartstrings and leave you wanting more.

Every old house had a story, written by the people and events that unfolded within its walls. This house, Noelle suspected, ended on a dark chapter.

C. C. Warrens has produced another stellar book. She addresses several tough topics, handling them with sensitivity and grace. Her characters are complex and relatable. There are bits of humor in the story, along with the theme of trusting that God is working in the broken places. There is a lot of brokenness in the story, but a sense of hope as well. 

I enthusiastically recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery novels!! It is challenging to figure out who the bad guys are and how things came about. It's completely unpredictable, which is one of many reasons I rated this book so high. You don't want to miss this one!!

Thank you to the author for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★★★/5 

Synopsis (provided by author):



8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good mystery and I like the quote you shared about every house having a story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is an excellent book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I do love a good mystery and this one sounds like fun. It's the house she ends up with that really makes me want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it was so good! I can usually figure out most if not all of the bad guys, but not this one! I hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  3. I'm always up for a good mystery so this definitely appeals to me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review Cindy. I love a mystery that you can't figure out easily.

    ReplyDelete