Saturday, February 5, 2022

To Write A Wrong

Title: To Write A Wrong (audio)

Series: The Bleecker Street Inquiry Agency #2

Author: Jen Turano

Narrator: Andrea Emmes

Publisher: Audible Audio

Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance, Mystery, Humor,

Source: Scribd

My review:

I am selective as to which authors I will read for Historical Fiction. I am not a huge fan, but authors like Jen Turano make me want to be! I will pick up one of her books without thinking twice.

To Write A Wrong is the second book in The Bleecker Street Inquiry Agency series. I strongly recommend reading the first book before reading this one. While it could be read as a standalone and be perfectly delightful, in the first book, you are introduced to Daphne and the agency (including the wonderful people who work there) and you would be missing out on that by diving right into this story.

I enjoyed Daphne's character in the first book, To Steal a Heart, but I loved her story in To Write a Wrong. It was so much fun getting to know her better, laughing at her quirky ways, and learning what's behind her anxiety and fainting spells. While there are heavy moments in the story, Turano handles them with a delicate hand. There is much we can learn about how women were treated then, and how they are still treated today.

The mystery side of the story, who wanted to kill Herman, was difficult to solve. While he is a great character, Daphne is the one who truly shines. There are quite a few appearances from the quirky cast of characters we grew to love in the first book as well. I loved this story and look forward to reading Eunice's story in the third book.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, with a great dose of humor, and a good mystery to solve. 

★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

Miss Daphne Beekman is a mystery writer by day, inquiry agent by night. Known for her ability to puzzle out plots, she happily works behind the scenes for the Bleecker Street Inquiry Agency, staying well away from danger. However, when Mr. Herman Henderson arrives on the doorstep of the agency, desperate for someone to investigate numerous attempts on his life, Daphne soon finds herself in the thick of a case she's determined to solve.

Mr. Herman Henderson is also a mystery writer, but unlike the dashing heroes he pens, he prefers living a quiet life, determined to avoid the fate of his adventurous parents, who perished while searching for the Lost City of Gold.

As the list of suspects grows and sinister plots are directed at Daphne, the situation quickly deteriorates, and a revealed secret jeopardizes their newfound affection. Only time will tell if Daphne will be able to regain Herman's trust and save both their lives.
 

4 comments:

  1. I love that cover, the expression on the woman's face is just priceless. I don't think I've read anything by Jen Turano, but I'll have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, her books are great! Especially if you like historical fiction with humor!

      Delete
  2. Looks like I have two more books to add to my TBR list. But Jen Turano is an author I wanted to read more of this year anyway. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lark, yeah, I am planning to read more of her as well, I have quite a few of hers on my backlist. (same for Karen Witemeyer).

      Delete