Sunday, October 23, 2022

Portrait of Vengeance

Title: Portrait of Vengeance

Series: Gwen Marcey #4

Author: Carrie Stuart Parks

Genre: Suspense, Christian Fiction,

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Source: Library

My review:

Wow! What a ride!

I have loved this series. It gives us a fascinating glimpse into what a forensic artist can do. I enjoyed Beth (Gwen's best friend) having a more active role in this story and missed Aynslee (her daughter) being more prominent. Gwen's Great Pyrenees, Winston, is a great addition to this story as well. 

Portrait of Vengeance is the fourth book in the Gwen Marcey series, and I highly recommend reading them in order. This could act as a standalone, but Gwen (and others) refer to things that happened in previous books, especially concerning Gwen's personal life.

I love Gwen! I can appreciate her snark, sass, and oddball sense of humor. I think these traits are part of her coping mechanisms. Gwen has had a series of difficult events happen over the last few years, and her resilience is truly amazing. 

There are many facets to this story. There is fascinating history about the Nez Perce tribe, facts revealed about Gwen's life and the constant search for the murderer/kidnapper. I had a hint of who the bad guy was, but I never saw the twist coming, nor could I have predicted how the story would end. It was incredible.

This appears to be the end of the series, but I am not ready for it to be over. I want to know more about what happens next in Gwen's life. There was a thread left hanging, but sometimes life is that way too.

I highly recommend this book and series to anyone who loves a good suspense novel. I recommend reading the acknowledgments section as well, as it is interesting learning how authors get their ideas for books like this!

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

An unsolved case. A tempest of memories. The future’s at stake—and time is running out...

Gwen Marcey has done a good job of keeping the pain of her past boxed up. But as she investigates the case of a missing child in Lapwai, Idaho, details keep surfacing that are eerily similar to her childhood traumas. She doesn’t believe in coincidences. So what’s going on here?

No one knows more about the impact of the past than the Nez Perce people of Lapwai. Gwen finds herself an unwelcome visitor to some, making her investigation even more difficult. The questions keep piling up, but answers are slow in coming—and the clock is ticking for a missing little girl. Meanwhile, her ex-husband back home is threatening to take sole custody of their daughter.

As Gwen’s past and present collide, she’s in a desperate race for the truth. Because only truth will ensure she still has a future.

8 comments:

  1. I still have the first book in this series on my TBR list. All of them sound good. I just need to learn to read faster. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it's all about having the time to read as well. I manage to squeeze in several small reading sessions every day, plus some audiobook time at least a few days a week, that makes my reading time "faster."

      Delete
    2. More time to read would be very nice!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this series does look good. Wonderful review, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year I completed the Louise Penny series of 17 books and am ready for something new. A 4-book series seems totally doable. I'll go check it out. Terrific review.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrie, wow, that is an accomplishment! I am looking forward to being able to read series in order, together again next year :) I hope you will read this series, and enjoy it!

      Delete