Friday, March 3, 2023

First Line Friday #81-Della and Darby

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading Della and Darby by Susannah B. Lewis. 

Mrs. Rosie Permenter, a sixty-eight-year-old hypochondriac with self-diagnosed bursitis, bronchitis, and the bubonic plague, was a regular at the clinic.

Book Beginnings:

Mrs. Rosie Permenter, a sixty-eight-year-old hypochondriac with self-diagnosed bursitis, bronchitis, and the bubonic plague, was a regular at the clinic. She leaned over my counter while I typed on the keyboard and said, "Della, I've been smelling bread. You know what that means?"

"No, Mrs. Rosie, I don't."

"The internet says it's a sign of an imminent stroke. If I close my eyes right now, I'd swear I was in a bakery. Don't you smell it? Don't you smell buttery croissants?"

Book Beginnings:

Synopsis (Goodreads):

In this small Mississippi town, everyone has long memories and loud opinions.

Twins Della and Darby Redd may be identical in appearance, but they couldn’t be more different. Della is outspoken, obsessed with purple, and desperate to be accepted by her peers. Darby is introverted, creative, and sees no need to speak to anyone besides her sister and grandmother, Birdie. Due to a tragedy from their past, all three women’s lives have been blanketed in judgment, scandal, and rumor, preventing them from experiencing true peace and contentment in their small town of Clay Station, Mississippi.

When the sisters enter the final year of their twenties, Birdie and Della begin planning an elaborate thirtieth birthday bash. Della believes the party will finally win her acceptance with the in-crowd and dreams of bringing her boss, Dr. Brian Faulkner, as her date. But when Darby begins to form an unexpected friendship with her goofy coworker, Cliff, she learns through him about a scandalous secret involving Dr. Faulkner that is sure to end in disaster. Telling her sister the truth will force them both to face the reality of who they have become—and whether they still have a place in each other’s future.

In her latest novel, beloved Southern author Susannah B. Lewis explores the burden and blessing of family legacies and the moments along the way for which to give thanks and celebrate.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

26 comments:

  1. Ah, delightful! Good thing Rosie Permenter is seeking treatment. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this now! Love me some Susannah B. Lewis. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole book sounds fun. And I love that first line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book, but it seems interesting. I hope you'll enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know this book or author - another great reason to participate in these book memes! Hope you love the book.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrie, I really enjoyed her other fiction book I had read, so I was super excited to get my hands on this one as well. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. That's a great opener! Mrs Permenter sounds like she's at least as interesting a character as the twins. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a great story!!! Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I a smelling baking bread but my daughter does occasionally ask me to smell peanut butter...she assures me I don't have Alzheimer's disease because I can smell the peanuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy it, Cindy. I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I will admit Della got on my nerves, but I did enjoy it, just finished it a few minutes ago!

      Delete
  10. This sounds really good. I have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I enjoyed it and I hope you do as well! I got it from my library :)

      Delete
  11. What a great opener! Mrs. Rosie Permenter sounds like quite the character! I'll have to add this to my list. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley, I wish Mrs. Permenter had more lines than she did, but she was great!! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. I'm currently reading Depending on the Cowboy by Jill Kemerer. The first line is: "Women made him nervous." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have heard of that author, Danielle, hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  13. I'm so late! It's been a crazy, busy weekend. Anyway, I'm currently reading To Win Her Hand by Jen Geigle Johnson. It's cute!
    "Lord Featherstone craned his neck until he could no longer see Lady Loveluck exiting outside to wait for her carriage."
    I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete