Thursday, March 2, 2023

Who the Bishop Knows

Title: Who the Bishop Knows

Series:The Amish Bishop Mysteries #3

Author: Vannetta Chapman

Genre: Christian Fiction, Mystery, Amish

Publisher: Harvest House Publishers

Source: Library

My review:

Who the Bishop Knows by Vannetta Chapman is the third book in the Amish Bishop Mystery series. I wondered why when I had enjoyed the first two books in the series, I had not read the third.

Once I started reading, I kept thinking the story was familiar. Yep, I had read the book but never marked it read on Goodreads and had forgotten that I had read it 😂

One of the reasons I enjoy this series is because it has such a unique storyline. First, the main character is Henry the Bishop. So often in Amish fiction, the main character is a female. So, it is refreshing to have a story from a different perspective. Second, Henry has a unique gift. He can draw events from memory with precise details. This gift enables him to help the police solve the mystery of the crimes. 

Even though I had read Who the Bishop Knows before, I am glad I read it again. I remembered many details, but I did not remember how the story resolved. There is enough mystery and action to keep the story moving, making it hard to put down! This story could be read as a stand-alone, but I highly recommend reading the first two in the series. While this story touches on how Henry received his gift, the first book explains it in more detail. Also, you see how the characters have evolved through the series.

I loved this series, and can't wait to read more by Vannetta Chapman.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

 What You Don't See Might Hurt You

Every year, residents of the small Amish community in Monte Vista, Colorado, look forward to the Ski Hi Stampede, the state's oldest professional rodeo. The rodeo is always good, clean entertainment for the hardworking farmers of the San Luis Valley. But this year, the Stampede turns deadly for one Amish man. Did rodeo fans see an unfortunate accident? Or something more sinister?

Amish bishop Henry Lapp is known far and wide for his uncanny ability to draw and remember the smallest details of anything he's seen, skills that have served him well in past investigations. He was at the rodeo that day. The problem? He didn't see Jason Scott's death.

With a murderer on the loose and members of his community being threatened, Henry must act fast. But can he solve a crime he didn't see? This time around, Henry will have to rely on his keen sense of human character and observation, skills he's honed in his role as bishop, if he hopes to crack the case.

What the Bishop Knows is a story of accepting our talents, putting one another first, and trusting that God will care for His children.

6 comments:

  1. lol. That's happened to me before, too, and I end up rereading a book I'd forgotten I'd already read. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it's funny, isn't it?! It was a few years ago, so it was fine :)

      Delete
  2. Vannetta Chapman is one of my favorite authors. I really enjoyed this series too - it was unique, with a great mystery and I loved the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchem, I agree, so unique! I need to see what books of hers I am not caught up on :)

      Delete
  3. I've reread books many times by accident too! I"m glad I"m not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, LOL, the joys of getting older...and not having written down everything I've ever read, LOL!

      Delete