Sunday, October 1, 2023

Can't Help Falling

Title: Can't Help Falling

Series: Sweater Weather #3

Author: Courtney Walsh

Publisher: Independently Published

Genre: RomCom, Humor, Contemporary Romance,

Source: Kindle Unlimited

My Review:

Can't Help Falling by Courtney Walsh is the third book in the Sweater Weather series. It can be read as a stand-alone novel.

I enjoyed Can't Help Falling. The story is told in a dual POV, alternating between Emmy and Owen. Emmy is a hopeless romantic who owns the bookstore (which feeds her romance addiction!). She is cute, nerdy, empathetic, and smart. Owen is completely practical, hopeful, and misunderstood. While he has no interest in being romantic, he can't help being drawn to the Hopeful Romantic podcast.

Read for:

  • secret podcast
  • childhood crush
  • best friends brother
  • secret friendship
  • firefighter hero
  • small town
  • fall vibes
  • bookstore owner
  • second chance
There are a lot of great moments in this story. I highly recommend it.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

All it takes to start a fire is one single match. . . Owen Larrabee is not my soulmate. He wasn't when I confessed my love to him on his wedding day, and he isn't now. I should probably say that I wasn't the bride when that happened. I don't have the best timing. He’s got a temper, he's moody, and he has a history of being misunderstood and making big mistakes. I, on the other hand, make pumpkin cupcakes, spend my Friday nights curled up with a beloved romance novel and long to be kissed in the rain. Owen is my best friend’s older, off-limits brother and the only boy I ever thought I loved. Which is laughable because he only ever saw me as his kid sister’s dorky friend. But that was a long time ago. And I’m over him. Mostly. Until he comes back to Harvest Hollow like some kind of hero, showing up just in time to pull me out of my burning house and make me feel all the things I told myself I’d never feel again. Darn him and that brooding, intense way he looks at me. But I have questions. Why is Owen back? And does he remember our secret friendship or the day I’ve spent the last eight years trying to forget? I know better than to get hung up on Owen again. Especially now, when he’s sworn off relationships and thinks romance is a farce. And I’m something of an expert—at least to the people who listen to my podcast, The Hopeful Romantic . Never mind that nobody would guess their local bookshop owner is the one doling out popular weekly relationship advice. Never mind that I’m basing all that advice on the hundreds, (thousands?) of romance novels I’ve read over the years and not on personal experience. And especially never mind that Owen is making me question everything I believe about all of it. Can’t Help Falling is a best friend’s brother, childhood crush, opposites attract sweet rom-com with plenty of sizzle but none of the steam.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a cute read! I’m glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie! The whole series has been great!

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading this one this weekend and I totally loved Owen! He's so great. Emmy's obsession with the grand romantic gesture--and how much she's in her head in this one--frustrated me a little bit. I still liked this book, just not quite as much as Walsh's other romances. But it did have some very humorous and cute moments. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney's books are always charming... even those that are a little more serious. This one looks and sounds like it'd be a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete