Thursday, November 9, 2023

Get Off Your Knees & Pray

Title: Get Off Your Knees & Pray

Author: Sheila Walsh

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Genre: Christian Nonfiction, Christian Living, Self-help, Prayer

Source: Own

My Review:

I am making an effort to read books I own. I have had Get Off Your Knees & Pray by Sheila Walsh on my shelf for at least ten years.  

So, my question is this: if prayer is God's gift to us to help us live on this broken planet, why do we find it so hard to pray?

The book has four parts. They are the path, the problem, the plan, and the purpose. The sections are broken into small, manageable chapters that relate to their heading. 

While I wanted to love this book, I found it interesting and good. There were no life-changing moments for me or even new information. It is written in an easy, conversational style. I think it would be best for those who are new to prayer, or struggle to pray, or want to understand why prayer is so important. I have at least one other book on my shelf by this author, and I will read it, and others by her.

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

We know we can talk to God, but it just sounds so important, so intimidating, so religious . We assume that only the very spiritual hear from Him directly. But author Sheila Walsh says "Every sound we utter, every thank you we say, every tear we cry in God's presence is prayer." Get Off Your Knees and Pray is a real woman's guide to real prayer-from understanding the biblical basis for prayer to cultivating a vital personal relationship with God. It is the perfect blend of practical advice, personal stories, and biblical truth to encourage and help you achieve greater intimacy with God through prayer. Prayer is not just a few sentences we say to God while on our knees. It is living out our ongoing, every-moment commitment to God. "Sheila steers us away from prayer as formula (say the right things the right way and God responds) and toward prayer as picture-a picture of God's desired relationship. Talking. Listening. Trusting. Living. This volume, warm and witty like its author deserves a spot on every reading calendar." -Max Lucado, best-selling author and minister "No matter what kind of difficulty you have about prayer, this book will
help. Sheila has experienced all of them, and she will take you through them
to where God has taken straight into His very real and accepting
Presence." -Dr. Henry Cloud, speaker and coauthor of Boundaries

6 comments:

  1. I like her take on prayer. The world would be a much better place if more people prayed and lived their life like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just finishing up Pray First. Similar idea, no doubt.

    Hop on over to my blog if you'd like to join in on some quotable fun. I'm taking over for Freda until she gets well for the Friday56 meme where we publish quotes from page 56 of the book we are currently reading. Loved to have you join us. Friday56 Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, some books are different and there are too many that are similar!

      Delete
  3. I should be making the same effort. I have all these big plans and then my mood shifts and of course you know from the last few STS posts, horror is all over this house right now! And more STILL on the way! Maybe over Christmas vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, it is hard, LOL! Especially for us mood readers! Enjoy all the horror, the other stuff will still be there when you are ready for it.

      Delete