Sunday, November 12, 2023

Seconds to Live

Title: Seconds to Live

Series: Homeland Heroes #1

Author: Susan Sleeman

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense,

Source: Own

Challenges: 23 in '23

My Review:

Seconds to Live is the first book in the Homeland Heroes series. 

I had a hard time getting into this one. I liked that Sean and Taylor had an online friendship before meeting in person. However, I didn't understand Taylor's reaction when they met in person. Her reaction does not match their level of friendship. 

I also had a hard time with their interactions. They did not feel natural. Some things that were going on were over explained. Other things were repetitive. I also found there was too much physical description, especially considering the case they were working on.

I love the uniqueness of the story line, and watching the FBI and US Marshalls work together. I also find books with US Marshalls in them fascinating. Overall, this one missed the mark for me, but I can also see why so many have enjoyed it. I will try other books by this author.

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

When cybercriminals hack into the U.S. Marshal's Witness Protection database and auction off personal details to the highest bidder, FBI Agent Sean Nichols begins a high-stakes chase to find the hacker. Trouble is, he has to work with U.S. Marshal Taylor Mills, who knows the secrets of his past, and the seconds are ticking down before someone dies.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Lark, it got rave reviews from a lot of people, but I just couldn't get into it.

      Delete
  2. I think this was also only 3 stars for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle to even continue reading a book when I can't get into it, so kudos to you for seeing this one through to the end. Sorry it wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's hard to keep reading something when dialogue is stilted, isn't it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long time, but I did remember reading this one. I don't remember specifics or what I thought though. The one thing I can remember is that I though the cover was genre (Christian) unique. :)

    ReplyDelete