Sunday, December 3, 2023

Surrender Bay

Title: Surrender Bay

Series: Nantucket Love Story #1

Author: Denise Hunter

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Genre: Christian Fiction, Contemporary Romance

Source: Own

My Review

Surrender Bay is the first book in the series, but each book easily stands alone. They are connected by location, not people. 

I love Denise Hunter's books. She is one of my go-to authors. Unfortunately, I have come across the first book by her that I did not like. 

I had a hard time getting into Surrender Bay. It is well-written, just like all of Hunter's other books that I have read, but I could not stand Samantha. She is so self-centered and self-involved. She makes bad decisions over and over again. While her character is redeemed toward the end of the book, it is pretty much too little too late. If it had been another author's name on the book, I would not have finished it, but there were a few things I wanted to know. As it was, I skim-read the last part of the book to get to the end.

I liked Landon and believe he deserved better than Sam. He shows how to love the unlovable and do it well. Overall, I wouldn't read this one again, nor would I recommend it. I have enjoyed other books in this series.

Synopsis (Goodreads)

On the beautiful island of Nantucket, salt and roses scent the air, waves sparkle over hidden currents, and a storm-tossed soul seeks safe harbor.

When Samantha Owen's estranged stepfather dies, she inherits his cottage in Nantucket--a place she left years ago, never planning to return. As a single mom, Sam can't afford to pass up on a financial windfall like ocean-front property. So she travels home to fix up the house and sell it . . . never suspecting that Landon Reed still lives two doors down. As their long-dormant romance begins to bud again, Sam must face the fact that Landon still doesn't know why she left the island. Will the secrets she's hidden all these years tear them apart . . . or is Landon's love really as unconditional as he claims?

Denise Hunter weaves a heart-tugging tale of shattered trust and enduring love . . . all in a romantic seaside setting.

4 comments:

  1. Samantha doesn't sound like a character I would like very much either. I just checked Denise Hunter's The Trouble With Cowboys out of the library...have you read that one? It looks like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I did read it and loved it! I hope you do as well :)

      Delete
  2. I've read a book or seen a movie where I felt the same (the hero deserves better). My mother read this series (I think) so it's on my bookshelf but I haven't read them. Hoping someday too because like you, I have generally enjoyed the books I read by Denise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I loved the third and forth book in the series, I don't think I have read the second.

      Delete