Monday, January 22, 2024

The Divine Proverb of Streusel

Title:The Divine Proverb of Streusel

Author: Sara Brunsold

Publisher: Revell    

Genre: Christian Fiction, Contemporary Fiction

Source: Revell

My Review: 

After reading The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip by Sara Brunsvold, I could not wait to read The Divine Proverb of Streusel. The stories could not be more different.

Having said that, they are both incredibly well-written stories. Brunsvold has a way of drawing you into the story and keeping you there. I was not sure I wanted to keep reading when I started the book. The beginning of this story could be my story; only I was twelve, not the adult that Nikki is. I don't understand her flight response to the situation.  And, honestly, who wants to read the story of their lives? Not me.

There is also not enough backstory between Nikki and Chris to understand what happened between them. It's hard to know if you are supposed to root for them.

I enjoyed Nikki's interactions with her Uncle Wes and her desire to know more about her roots. I found that part of the story to be so incredibly sweet and heartwarming. 

I struggled throughout the book with Nikki's interactions with her dad, and because it is fiction, there could be some kind of resolution or hope for their future going forward. The same goes for Nikki's relationship with Isaac. I felt like that part was rushed. There were not enough interactions between them for their story to be plausible or for me to be invested in it.

The story as a whole is emotional, heartbreaking, frustrating at times, and heartwarming. Faith is woven seamlessly throughout the story. Depending on the experiences you have had this story might hit you differently. Regardless of the experiences you've had, this is a beautiful story.

Thank you to Revell for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Shaken by her parents' divorce and discouraged by the growing chasm between herself and her serious boyfriend, Nikki Werner seeks solace at her uncle's farm in a small Missouri hamlet. She'll spend the summer there, picking up the pieces of her shattered present so she can plan a better future. But what awaits her at the ancestral farm is a past she barely knows.

Among her late grandmother's belongings, Nikki finds an old notebook filled with handwritten German recipes and wise sayings pulled from the book of Proverbs. With each recipe she makes, she invites locals to the family table to hear their stories about the town's history, her ancestors--and her estranged father.

What started as a cathartic way to connect to her heritage soon becomes the means through which she learns how the women before her endured--with the help of their cooking prowess. Nikki realizes how delicious streusel with a healthy dollop of faith can serve as a guide to heal wounds of the past.

6 comments:

  1. Her finding that old notebook of her grandmother's with the recipes and proverbs sounds like the best part of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding to my list. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Regine! I hope you get an opportunity to read it!

      Delete
  3. I like your review, Cindy. You explained some of the things I struggled with very well.
    I'm sorry about your experience at such a young age (though there's really not a good age for a situation like that, is there?)
    I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. Your response was in my spam folder for some reason!
    Have a wonderful remainder of the weekend.
    Blessings~🙂

    ReplyDelete